Premed 101 Forums

How do American medical schools care about taking 1st/2nd year courses in 3rd/4th year

Redface

Hello, 

I am currently enrolled in a Canadian University completing my 3 year second degree. I plan on applying to American Medical schools by the end of this degree. I wanted to take some 1st and 2nd year courses in my 3rd and 4th year. I plan to take a maximum of 2 (1st/2nd year) courses and 3 (3rd/4th) that are in line with the year I would be in per semester. For instance, in my 3rd year first semester I would be taking 2 * 1st year courses + 3 * 3rd year course. 

My question by doing this would I still be eligible to competitively apply to American Medical schools? I searched on Canadian friendly medical school websites, but didn't find an answer. 

Thank you 

@bearded frog Thanks for the reply. The way I have set up my schedule I would be taking 1st year bio/chem/phys/math/English in my later years. Iv done this so that I can take these prerequisites courses within my degree while following the 60% course load rule (Im not 100% sure that I am tbh). Ive added my the exact schedule I plan to take during my 3 years. Does it look fine to you? 

Also, do you know if American Meds schools follow the 60/40 rule like most Canadian schools do? 

thanks 

Year 2:

1st Semester:

•  Kin 2nd
  • Kin 2049
  •  Kin 2nd
  • Inorganic Chem (General chem)
  • Bio (1000 level)

2st Semester:

• Kin 2nd
  • Kin 2050
  • Kin 2nd