Premed 101 Forums

Response to Offer

Guest kooty

Guest kooty

Hi,

I just have a questions regarding the reponse sheet we're supposed to send back to Western. If we want to provisionally accept because we would still like to be considered for admission by a non-OMSAS school, which box do we check and do we write the non-OMSAS school down?

Thanks

Guest aneliz

If you want to provisionally accept, I would check the provisional acceptance box and write down the name of the other school on the line where it goes. UWO will appreciate the heads up that you are waiting for an OOP school.

However, you could also check the 'accept' box....seeing as I assume that you aren't staying on any other OMSAS school lists....and then enclose a note explaining that you are staying on an OOP list.

The only time you get into problems is if you had firmly accepted UWO (or another OMSAS school) and also accepted an OOP school. The schools do compare lists of students...so if you hold two acceptances, both schools are likely going to come after you to make you decide which one you are keeping. But, you could hold a firm UWO acceptance while you are waiting...as long as you gave up your UWO acceptance as soon as you got off the other schools list...of course you may lose your $1000 deposit with UWO.

Basically, you stand to lose $1000 to UWO either way if you plan to stay on the OOP school's list beyond July 2. UWO will not let you stay as a 'provisional' acceptane with no deposit past July 2...even if you are waiting for an OOP school.

Guest kooty

Thanks Aneliz...

So, let me get this straight...I can remain on the waitlist for a non-OMSAS school indefinitely and still firmly accept at UWO as long as i do not firmly accept at 2 Ontario schools?

Thanks

Tiffany

Guest aneliz

As far as I know. The provisional goes firm date is an Ontario thing. After that date you cannot remain on an Ontario list AND hold an Ontario acceptance. So, if you provisionally accept UWO, you will firmly accept UWO on that date unless you back out before then. You can always back out of an acceptance as late as you like, but you may lose the $1000 after July 2.

As far as I know you can also stay on OOP lists as long as you like, regardless of whether you have other acceptances... but you shouldn't hold TWO acceptances at the same time. If you get offered acceptance off of a waitlist, you will have limited time to decide which acceptance you want to keep.

Archived