Premed 101 Forums

confused Master's student...

Hi all!

I was wondering if any graduate students who has gotten an interview or accepted to Ontario med school to help me out! I am a Master's student, doing a two-year thesis. I currently have two peer-reviewed authorships in mid-level journals (one first-author and another second). However, they are both based on work from my undergraduate career but were recently published during my Master's. It is highly unlikely that I will have time to publish a paper based on my Master's work this year but I still have some presentations and conferences based on my Master's work. Would you think this may reflect poorly on my application? Thanks!

While it's obviously better to have more published research rather than less, I don't think it's a huge deal that your grad work hasn't come down the publishing pipeline yet (I also didn't have my first meaningful, first author publication till nearly 2 years into my degree). What's probably more important is a continuity of publications given the speed of file review; if you have work published during the timeframe of your Master's, along with some conference work, that should be a-ok and not look funny to anyone looking at it imo. If you feel light on the grad research though, should go without saying that makes it increasingly important to have solid, diverse ECs outside of school to compensate.

5 hours ago, Nidhogg said:

Hi all!

I was wondering if any graduate students who has gotten an interview or accepted to Ontario med school to help me out! I am a Master's student, doing a two-year thesis. I currently have two peer-reviewed authorships in mid-level journals (one first-author and another second). However, they are both based on work from my undergraduate career but were recently published during my Master's. It is highly unlikely that I will have time to publish a paper based on my Master's work this year but I still have some presentations and conferences based on my Master's work. Would you think this may reflect poorly on my application? Thanks!

Don't worry, the admission committee do not have time to dig into every single application and dig up stuff. Honestly, their scoring system is probably something automatic like master's degree x scores, every first name paper y score, every second name  z score, etc.  If your paper is tangentially related to your research, I promise they will not even notice that it is from your undergraduate work (and I said, they do not care in the first place). There are tones of applicants each year and the people scoring you probably following some simple guidelines, which are semi-automatic.  The only place these stuff may come to light is during your interviews (if you get) and then you can prepare beforehand to present yourself well and project confidence and then no one will care either. I guess (only guess) that there is a cap on how much score you can harness form your research activity and you probably need some community based volunteering (homeless shelter, hospitals, etc.) to maximize your score and chance.