Premed 101 Forums

GPA calculation

Guest FrenchyMed

Guest FrenchyMed

I'm a little confused about Western's way of calculating my GPA.

I understand that only my best 2 years will be used.

What I don't get is this:

"If you took more than 5.0 credits in a given year, only the 5.0 BEST credits will be used to calculate your GPA."

Are these 5 credits based on the OMSAS scale?

I average 10-12 OMSAS credits (length) per year.

What constitues a credit in the eyes of Western?

At Ottawa U, they calculate 3 credit per regular class per term (i.e. 6 credits for a year-long class).

So 3 credit from Ottawa = 1 credit with OMSAS.

Can someone help me?

FrenchyMed

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

UWO uses the LENGTH of the course to define what constitutes a credit. For example, a full-year course is considered 1.0 credit, while a half-year course is considered 0.5 credits. I'm not sure how Ottawa goes about defining what constitutes a "credit" to them, but I do know that both UWO and OMSAS define credits in terms of whether a course is a half or full year in length. Hope this helps!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest aneliz

Further to what Timmy wrote:

If you took more than 5 full year or 10 half year courses in any given Sept-April period (ie you took 6 full courses or 12 half courses one year), than your GPA will be calculated using the 5 BEST full courses or BEST 10 half credits you took that year.

So as an example:

If you took 6 full year courses between Sept and April and you got

3.60 in course A

4.0 in course B and C

3.90 in course D and E

2.70 in course F

then your GPA would be calculated using the best five (courses A-E) and would not include the worst course (the sixth, course F)

However, if you only took 5 full courses, or 10 half courses, your GPA would include ALL of the courses because you don't have any 'extras' to drop.

Make sense?

Guest FrenchyMed

Thanks guys!

What's kinda odd is the variation of my GPA based on the way each school calculates it.

My GPA ranges from 3.90 for Western to 3.42 for Mac...

I guess that "F" in 1st year only affects my GPA for Mac!

Archived