Premed 101 Forums

Elective Advice

What electives are worth doing for someone who only wants to practice outpatient community (non-rural) family medicine? I have zero interest in in-patient medicine and I'm considering doing electives in sports medicine, outpatient neurology and family medicine. Any other electives that people would recommend for someone who is all in for outpatient community (non-rural) family medicine? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Centurion35 said:

What electives are worth doing for someone who only wants to practice outpatient community (non-rural) family medicine? I have zero interest in in-patient medicine and I'm considering doing electives in sports medicine, outpatient neurology and family medicine. Any other electives that people would recommend for someone who is all in for outpatient community (non-rural) family medicine? Thanks!

Regardless of whether you plan to go inpatient medicine or not,  a good outpatient urban family doc needs lots of generalist skills. It may be difficult and a bit of a disservice to do only outpatient electives. Some inpatient experience will also help you prepare for residency, because you won’t be able to avoid it during training. Various things I’d suggest are Derm and Opthomology, if you can get them. Psych. Pediatrics. Physiatry/rehab med. Geriatrics. A more gyne/women’s health focused obgyn elective (paps, iuds, contraception, etc). If you’re willing to go rural(ish) for some training, general internal medicine with a focus on outpatient (but you’d likely have to do some inpatient) would also likely be very useful.