Premed 101 Forums

Southwestern Ontario Preferences

Guest Krish

Guest Krish

Hey Timmy/Andrea,

When I attended a Pre-med symposium on 2001, Ray Lim mentioned that for 2003, they will be 3 seats for MD/Ph.D students and there will be a preference for students from Southwestern Ontario with area code 519. Is this true?

Thanks.

Krish

Guest UWOMED2005

Yes, there is a bit of a bonus given to the overall scores of students from southwestern ontario, due to the physician shortage here. This was quota was in place for the 2006 class as well. But it can't amount to much - there are students in the 2006 class from NS, Alberta, British Columbia, other provinces (sorry I don't know which exact ones!) and tons from central, eastern and Northern Ontario. There's too many Leafs and not enough Sens fans in this class of 2007, but that's a separate issue. Maybe they'll improve the admissions process for the 2008 class. Now there's a quota every med school SHOULD have. :P

But seriously - it's best not to worry about the preference at all. This is not a quota - there's no restriction as to how many people outside SW ontario can be accepted (like some of the other schools' quotas) Besides, I think the actual advantage is minor, as long as you did well enough in the interview it won't matter anyways, and you can't do anything about it anyways so why bother worrying about it?

Good luck.

Guest TimmyMax

Yeah,

There's no need for there to be more fans of stinky hockey teams like the Senators here at UWO, although it won't be held against you in the final evaluation, at least not officially. It gets pretty loud around here with the Sens fans getting together and collectively crying after their team is beaten out by the Leafs every year in the playoffs. At least that's what I keep hearing, anyway.

But seriously, if you do well enough in your interview, the slight preference given to SW Ontario residents won't affect you at all. Our class isn't dominated by SW Ontario residents at all, so it's basically a non-issue here.

Those Ottawa people that keep showing up here, however, especially the ones that kept calling me during the first period when the Leafs are down 2-0 and then wouldn't answer their phones when the Leafs eventually won, we could probably do without. And no, UWOMED2005, I'm not talking about you!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest UWOMED2005

Considering there's really only one other Sens fan I know of in the first two years of UWO, I think I know exactly who it is.

Of course, that is about on par with gloating over Sens fans after the Leafs won and the Sens lost GAME ONE of their respective SEVEN GAME SERIES. That's kind of jumping the gun too, wouldn't you say, Timmymax and lcloh? Kind of puts certain phone calls in a little perspective. . .

And to bring it back to the original topic, I'd like to repeat that their is a slight bonus given to people from SW Ontario, but there still are plenty of people from outside the 519.

Guest aneliz

The Southwestern Ontario advantage is real...but it is small. As already mentioned, it is not a 'quota'...there are no reserved 'southwestern' seats. There is a small number of bonus points awarded to students that are 'legitimate residents of Southwestern Ontario' AFTER the interviews are completed. These bonus points may (or may not) have any affect on your chance of admission based on where you fall in the final rankings...(ie they will not save somebody that has been deemed 'unacceptable' from getting a rejection...) The bonus will only really impact on the people that are right around the edge... Nobody is really sure exactly how the bonus points work...just that they exist...there is ONE person on the admissions committee that is responsible for this and he is the ONLY person that knows exactly how it works...(top secret!!) I do know that it is NOT based on your phone number though...and calling it a '519' advantage is not correct. The 519 area code covers more then just the SW area of Ontario (Kitchener and Guelph are NOT considered SW Ontario but have 519 phone numbers)...however, we have been asked by the admissions committee NOT to release any more information other then the 'advantage' is small and it is applied after the interview stage to genuine SW Ontario residents.

Last year was the first year that the bonus points were offered. From the stats that we were given, they only really applied to a very small fraction of the people that are now in meds 2006 (we're talking like ~20/133 people in our class got the bonus points...) And of course we don't know how many of these people would still have gotten in without the bonus points...(the top 10 ranked people might have been SW Ontario, and they still would have been given the 'bonus' points, even though it would have had ZERO impact on the final outcome.) I wouldn't worry too much, as mentioned earlier, we have LOTS of people from Toronto, Ottawa, Kingston, the rest of Ontario and OOP. The bonus points will NOT have a really significant impact on your chances either way...you will not be able to 'bump' a Toronto resident that aced the interview by having had an adequate interview but living in SW Ontario....however you may be able to nudge your way up a few spots over other people that also had 'adeqate interviews' that aren't from SW Ontario...and that is basically what we are talking about...nudging your way up a few places - not jumping to the head of the line.

Guest peachy

Um, is it just me that finds the concept of "top-secret bonus points" a little concerning? Why would something as simple as an advantage based on location need to be kept so secret?

Guest aneliz

Why?? Because there are always students that are out to get around the system and attempt to secure bonus points that they don't deserve....you would be surprised at the number of applicants that got a cell phone with a London phone number and then called admissions and gave them that phone number for their application after rumours of a '519' or London phone number based advantage circulated...

Admissions wants to maintain the integrity of the process and make sure that only those that are really deserving of the SW advantage receive it...by keeping exactly how it is done secret, they hope to prevent people from 'hacking the system' as applicants seem so bent on doing. I would be willing to bet that if I posted how it is determined who is eligible for the 'bonus' points, more then a few applicants would rush out and attempt to demonstrate (falsely) that they satisfy those criteria.

Bottom line is that the world is full of people that are always trying to 'get in the back door' to med school and are more then willing to lie, cheat and steal to do it.

Hence the need for 'secrets' in an attempt to keep cheating to a minimum.

Guest hmsdread

Take TimmyMax and Aneliz's word as the truth - the advantage exists, but it is small. You're better off not worrying about it. If you're from SW Ontario and had a mediocre interview, it could help you get in off a waiting list; if you're from outside SW Ontario and had a great interview, it won't bump you from your rightful spot.

hmsdread

Edited cuz Aneliz beat me to the punch...

Guest peachy

Ah. I thought you meant that the exact effect that the bonus points have on your application is secret, which would be weird. It doesn't really matter to me, I just get a little peeved when people start talking about "top secret" admission rules :) I wish there was a way to make a fair process that was transparent (and required far less energy from the applicants).

Guest UWOMED2005

The ironic thing is, many of the UWO students posting here are from SW Ontario, or have ties here.

But don't worry, there are tons of people from outside this region in the 2006 class. . . I would very much believe Aneliz's 20/133 assertion to be true.

Guest UWOMED2005

Doh!! Whoops. . . for some reason I was confusing going to a school from SW Ontario with being from SW Ontario. I wonder why my brain was doing that? Maybe not enough sleep recently.

Guest JSS02

UWOMED2005 "busted out" with a gutsy (though I can think of a more appropriate adjective here... hehehe) Tachycardia performance for the ages. :)

Guest TimmyMax

Hmm, MeninMedicine. Quite the sophisticated crowd there, holding their "meetings" at prominent and critically acclaimed convention halls such as Legends. Wouldn't want to get on those guys' bad sides!

Guest lcloh

.... so you mean that Tachy sat. night was supposed to be an encore performance from the one you did for ALL the MenInMedicine at S.G. the night before? :)

Guest Chieka

It's obvious that you UWO folks did not read the fine print in this message board's Terms of Service, "Do not devote half a thread talking about occurences that other forum members have no clue about." Duh! :rolleyes Please share... or do I not want to know? ;)

C.

Archived