Premed 101 Forums

Where to do science prereqs

ceelbe

I’m trying to find out what my options are for completing my science prereqs this summer and fall to apply to med. I’m missing chemistry 1&2, organic chemistry, and two physics, all with labs. I know Dawson has their evening classes, but I was wondering what other cegeps or unis offer these classes. Are they all in the evenings? I’m not looking to spend a bunch on tuition so Athabasca is likely out of the question. Does Vanier offer these? Tried calling but no answer. Thank you!

On 3/11/2021 at 6:29 PM, ceelbe said:

I’m trying to find out what my options are for completing my science prereqs this summer and fall to apply to med. I’m missing chemistry 1&2, organic chemistry, and two physics, all with labs. I know Dawson has their evening classes, but I was wondering what other cegeps or unis offer these programs. Are they all in the evenings? I’m not looking to spend a bunch on tuition so Athabasca is likely out of the question. Does Vanier offer these? Tried calling but no answer. Thank you!

Just now, MDee2B said:

Vanier definitely offers these. I completed the majority of my prereqs there

Oh great! You weren’t a student there at the time otherwise, right? You registered as continuing education or whatever? Were the classes in evenings or daytime? Do you know if they offered them in summer also? Sorry for all the questions haha

On 3/11/2021 at 7:47 PM, ceelbe said:

Oh great! You weren’t a student there at the time otherwise, right? You registered as continuing education or whatever? Were the classes in evenings or daytime? Do you know if they offered them in summer also? Sorry for all the questions haha

48 minutes ago, MDee2B said:

I was a full time student there, in a double DEC program.

I know that they offer summer course intensives as well

Ah okay yeah I’m more wondering if they offer them as independent credit courses as opposed to as part of a DEC. I’ll be sure to check out what they offer in summer then, thank you!

55 minutes ago, Médicomage said:

ULaval and Université de Montréal both have Cours compensateurs for those prerequ.

There’s also one physics class offered with Cégep à distance.

I’m really hoping to do them in English, are those only offered in French at those universities? How about cegep à distance?

2 hours ago, ceelbe said:

I’m trying to find out what my options are for completing my science prereqs this summer and fall to apply to med. I’m missing chemistry 1&2, organic chemistry, and two physics, all with labs. I know Dawson has their evening classes, but I was wondering what other cegeps or unis offer these classes. Are they all in the evenings? I’m not looking to spend a bunch on tuition so Athabasca is likely out of the question. Does Vanier offer these? Tried calling but no answer. Thank you!

Most cegep classes during summer semester are during the day. I think Vanier generally offers those classes for the summer semester. Also, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do 5 classes over the summer so you might have to do some during the fall semester

1 hour ago, Laly20 said:

Most cegep classes during summer semester are during the day. I think Vanier generally offers those classes for the summer semester. Also, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do 5 classes over the summer so you might have to do some during the fall semester

Thank you!! Yeah I’m looking to do 2 in summer and 3 in fall :)

48 minutes ago, ceelbe said:

Thank you!! Yeah I’m looking to do 2 in summer and 3 in fall :)

I just remembered that in order to do org chemistry you'll have to do chem 2 (chemistry of solutions). And to complete chem 2, you must do chem 1 before. So you might have to do all those classes over 3 semesters.

31 minutes ago, Laly20 said:

I just remembered that in order to do org chemistry you'll have to do chem 2 (chemistry of solutions). And to complete chem 2, you must do chem 1 before. So you might have to do all those classes over 3 semesters.

Ah okay gotcha! I saw at McGill they offer chem 2 and organic chem at the same time if I’m not mistaken (like you can take them simultaneously) so I figured it would be the same at other places. Worst case I’ll do organic chem in winter then

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2021 at 5:25 PM, Laly20 said:

In Cegep I did solution and organic at the same time, so i don't think solution is a prequisit to organic. 

1 hour ago, medmed1234 said:

Yes! I took all my prerequisites at Concordia except for bio 2 (I had already done this elsewhere). 

Thanks! Yeah I’m currently taking physics and chemistry in summer at Concordia with labs :) gonna stick with Concordia since it’s during the day versus in evenings for cegeps