Premed 101 Forums

GPA calculation question

Hi all,

I'm currently in my second year of undergrad, hoping to apply to med school after completing 3 years. For GPA calculation, I understand that UBC would take into consideration my 3 undergrad years in order to determine my OPGA/AGPA. I'm on track to complete 106 credits by the end of my third year, so would this mean that UBC will only evaluate these grades for my acceptance, and would my fourth year grades be taken into consideration at all once I've graduated (that is, if I were to be invited for an interview).

As for my AGPA, since I will be completing over 90 credits does this mean that UBC disregards my 16 worst credits from my worst year while considering my application? 

1 hour ago, purelings said:

Hi all,

I'm currently in my second year of undergrad, hoping to apply to med school after completing 3 years. For GPA calculation, I understand that UBC would take into consideration my 3 undergrad years in order to determine my OPGA/AGPA. I'm on track to complete 106 credits by the end of my third year, so would this mean that UBC will only evaluate these grades for my acceptance, and would my fourth year grades be taken into consideration at all once I've graduated (that is, if I were to be invited for an interview).

As for my AGPA, since I will be completing over 90 credits does this mean that UBC disregards my 16 worst credits from my worst year while considering my application? 

Any grades on your transcript by the application deadline will typically be used in the grade calculations. Typically for AGPA, yes, UBC would drop credits up to a maximum of 30 from your worst year.

However, last year UBC did not include any grades from the Jan-Apr 2020 term due to COVID - you also could not include those grades toward your 90 credit minimum. Presumably this will also be the case for the upcoming application cycle, so for you the calculation will likely depend on how many credits you took that semester. https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/evaluation-criteria/

1 hour ago, frenchpress said:

Any grades on your transcript by the application deadline will typically be used in the grade calculations. Typically for AGPA, yes, UBC would drop credits up to a maximum of 30 from your worst year.

However, last year UBC did not include any grades from the Jan-Apr 2020 term due to COVID - you also could not include those grades toward your 90 credit minimum. Presumably this will also be the case for the upcoming application cycle, so for you the calculation will likely depend on how many credits you took that semester. https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/evaluation-criteria/

Ah I forgot about this, thank you.

I took 18 credits during that semester, so I'm guessing this means that I won't be eligible for AGPA by the time of my application.

40 minutes ago, purelings said:

Ah I forgot about this, thank you.

I took 18 credits during that semester, so I'm guessing this means that I won't be eligible for AGPA by the time of my application.

Wouldn’t that leave you with 88 credits, and thus not eligible to apply? I recall something about in progress summer credits at time of application being counted toward meeting the 90 credit minimum (but not GPA calculations) - so you might have some options to add an extra course and get up over that threshold. 

2 hours ago, frenchpress said:

Wouldn’t that leave you with 88 credits, and thus not eligible to apply? I recall something about in progress summer credits at time of application being counted toward meeting the 90 credit minimum (but not GPA calculations) - so you might have some options to add an extra course and get up over that threshold. 

I believe winter 2020 courses are still counted to meet the 90 credit requirement, just not toward OGPA/AGPA calculation. In this case OP could still apply, but won’t get APGA as they would only have 88 graded credits at the time of application. 

23 minutes ago, WaitingTooLong said:

I believe winter 2020 courses are still counted to meet the 90 credit requirement, just not toward OGPA/AGPA calculation. In this case OP could still apply, but won’t get APGA as they would only have 88 graded credits at the time of application. 

The website linked above says the following about grades not counting for the 90 credits: “Due to the COVID-19 pandemic Term 2 of the 2019-2020 academic year (or equivalent term) courses do not count toward the AGPA or the calculation of 90 graded credits, nor do courses taken after June 1 of the year of application”

5 hours ago, frenchpress said:

The website linked above says the following about grades not counting for the 90 credits: “Due to the COVID-19 pandemic Term 2 of the 2019-2020 academic year (or equivalent term) courses do not count toward the AGPA or the calculation of 90 graded credits, nor do courses taken after June 1 of the year of application”

I found the following in the footnote:

3 Generally, Pass/Fail, Credit/No Credit courses do not count towards the GPA, nor the minimum 90 credit requirement. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic we will be accepting courses that are Passed or received Credit from the Winter 2019-2020 Term 2 (or equivalent term) and including them in the calculation of your 90 credit minimum requirement in the 2020-2021, 2021-2022, and 2022-2023 application cycles. Grades from Term 2 of the 2019-2020 academic year (or equivalent term) will not be included in the calculation of GPA.”

1 hour ago, WaitingTooLong said:

I found the following in the footnote:

3 Generally, Pass/Fail, Credit/No Credit courses do not count towards the GPA, nor the minimum 90 credit requirement. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic we will be accepting courses that are Passed or received Credit from the Winter 2019-2020 Term 2 (or equivalent term) and including them in the calculation of your 90 credit minimum requirement in the 2020-2021, 2021-2022, and 2022-2023 application cycles. Grades from Term 2 of the 2019-2020 academic year (or equivalent term) will not be included in the calculation of GPA.”

Well that’s confusing! It sounds so contradictory. But certainly seems more fair. 

On 3/13/2021 at 9:47 PM, frenchpress said:

You need 90 credits by the time you are admitted.

You can still have 88 credits and apply, and then by the time you are admitted (which would be one year later) you would definitely have 90+ credits.

39 minutes ago, HopefulMD786 said:

You need 90 credits by the time you are admitted.

You can still have 88 credits and apply, and then by the time you are admitted (which would be one year later) you would definitely have 90+ credits.

Yes, this is true! Since OP is in second year I was interpreting this as them applying this upcoming cycle, with the idea they could be accepted to medicine at the end of their third year (which is the case when they’d have only 88 credits without 2019/2020 Term 2). But if they’re not applying until after third year and will have fourth year completed by the time of acceptance, then you’re right that they would then have enough by the time they are admitted, and the issue is just not being able to benefit from an adjusted GPA.