Premed 101 Forums

Minimum GPA for universities in Quebec

Hello!

I just wanted to ask if someone knew the minimum GPA for most medical school universities in Quebec given that most are not published.

Basically my GPA is 3.869/4.33 in my second year in kinesiology in UdeM. I have not studied CEGEP here but retook the equivalent year in univesity, année prépatoir en sciences.

And i want to go into medical school. 

I'm trying to apply for honors to enhance my CV.

i want to know what are my chances into being accepted in Quebec?What should be done to engance my case in the last year? and what options do i have if don't get accepted(cause i recently heard that doing a DESS and Microgrogramme then reapplying into Med is not accepted in most schools)?

Thank you very much and have a good day!!

Hi Joanne!

Except for McGill, none of the French medical schools has a minimum GPA. Only a minimum CRU (cote de rendement universitaire). The CRU is a way to standardize every applicants' GPA so it's easier to compare them.

Here are explanations about the CRU

the CAG for université de Sherbrooke

The Cote Laval for Université Laval with their Table des étalons (Université Laval is the only one to publicly share their Table des étalons).

The CRU for Université de Montréal

Also, for McGill, you have to convert your grades to their 4.0 scale with their Academic History Workbook If your converted GPA is 3,8 and higher, you have a good shot.

So basically, each French university has its own way to calculate the CRU and it depends of your program. Since kinesiology is a limited enrollment program, it's a good thing, because this program has higher "strenght index", which means it gives better CRU for your GPA.

Laval has now a cutoff for the CRU, which is 31. Based on their Table des étalons, you fall between 29,797 and 32,579, which may or may not mean you clear their cutoff.

Université de Montréal also has a cutoff, which is 33, but there's no way for sure to know if you are above or under it, unless you apply. The good thing is, since you completed at least 12 credits with them, you have a 0.5 bonus.

For Sherbrooke, there's no cutoff and there's only 20% of their spots allocated for university applicants, and the CRU of those who receive an offer tend to be very high, around 35, which probably is for perfect GPAs (since they automatically give 35 for everyone who has a perfect GPA, no matter their major), but like Université de Montréal, there's no way to know your Sherbrooke CRU for sure, unless you apply.

If you finish your bachelor degree, Laval and Sherbrooke give you a 0.5 bonus to your CRU as well. If you go for a Master degree after your bachelor, you get another 0.5 bonus from Sherbrooke, Laval AND Montreal.

So basically, there's nothing else you can do for now. Keep on getting good grades. If you manage to finish with a 4/4,33, you're safe for Laval, because as soon as your reach their 31 cutoff, you're good and they will only look at your Casper. You could be fine to clear UdeM's cutoff with a 4/4.33 GPA as well, but there's no way to know for sure unless you apply. The CV is only useful for McGill.

Hope this helps! Good luck!