Premed 101 Forums

CBD

So I was randomly browsing and learning about the new CBD curriculum in residency. I noticed the program I was browsing puts all electives at end of 5th year (during TTD period). I thought this would pose a major problem since most fellowships require you to apply 12-24 months in advance, so without electives wouldn't one be at a huge disadvantage?

Also if you are writing your RC exam in 4th year, and you are applying for fellowship in 4th year, and maybe doing away electives in 4th year, is that even manageable?

If you pass your RC in 4th year then during TTP are you actually billing as a staff or basically do staff work and get paid resident salary?

I don't know much about this CBD design so maybe this is only an isolated case, or there are flexibilities within CBD to move things around. Maybe people more familiar with CBD can chime in.

And for those who don't know, CBD = competency by design, not the other CBD stuff on the internet they put in gummy bears and promises to cure everything from epilepsy to SARS. Maybe when residents get fed up with CBD some of the other CBD stuff could be therapeutic lol.

I think you mean TTP or transition to practice at the end. Transition to discipline is at the start. In theory they keep selling it as you're done when you've met the requirements which could be 4.5 years or 5.5 years for a 5 year specialty. I'll believe it when you see it. In pediatrics at least lots of people apply for fellowship and do electives in 4th year when we write our RC and it's doable if you leave some space for chill rotations right before.

3 hours ago, shikimate said:

If you pass your RC in 4th year then during TTD are you actually billing as a staff or basically do staff work and get paid resident salary?

lol of course you're getting paid as a resident. You sill need to finish your residency to get a full licence so you're still working as a resident under a staff, just like all fellows are.

Nobody other than anaesthesia really knows how its going to work, its going to be a bit of a crap shoot and I wouldn't bet on it still looking the same in 5 years.

I was curious about whether it would change the length of training at all, but at the carms info sessions I attended where it was brought up, the PDs said that it won’t. They said if you were to finish all your objectives before the end of the 5 years, you’d just tailor the remaining time to whatever you wanted it to be, but you wouldn’t finish early. They also made it sound like there was some flexibility around elective timing if you wanted to apply for a fellowship :)

• 2 years later...

Although your post is from a couple of years ago, your insights about the CBD curriculum in residency are still quite relevant. Navigating the timing of electives and fellowship applications can indeed be a challenge, especially when considering the 12-24 months advance requirement for fellowships. Managing RC exams, fellowship applications, and electives all in the 4th year does sound like a complex balancing act.

Also, the TTP phase could have a significant impact on residents' roles and compensation. This cannabis glossary can be helpful for those who want more clarity on the CBD design.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 7:36 AM, AliciaHolt said:

Although your post is from a couple of years ago, your insights about the CBD curriculum in residency are still quite relevant. Navigating the timing of electives and fellowship applications can indeed be a challenge, especially when considering the 12-24 months advance requirement for fellowships. Managing RC exams, fellowship applications, and electives all in the 4th year does sound like a complex balancing act.

Also, the TTP phase could have a significant impact on residents' roles and compensation. This cannabis glossary can be helpful for those who want more clarity on the CBD design.

Nice ChatGPT post

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/20/2023 at 7:27 PM, Lovestary said:

I get where you're coming from – CBD in the medical field can be quite the puzzle. The scheduling does seem tight, but I guess the CBD design aims for a structured, competency-based approach. I also suggest you add delta 9 thc gummies. Keep exploring, and you'll likely find ways to make it work for you.

Nice ChatGPT post

• 2 months later...

From what I've heard, the placement of electives in the 5th year can indeed pose challenges for those looking to apply for fellowships well in advance.CBD can be a bit confusing, but there might be some flexibility to move things around. It's always good to connect with others who are more familiar with the system to get a better grasp of how to work it to your advantage.And just a heads up, if you're still hunting for more info on this or other topics, you might want to check out resources like Abbeycare rehab programs. They often share useful insights that could help you make informed decisions.