Premed 101 Forums

to current UWO students

Guest Emila

Guest Emila

Could you describe what a typical week is like for you?

Someone did this in the Ottawa forum and I found it gave me a clear picture of what the school, the learning experience and the atmosphere is like.

Thanks

Guest TimmyMax

Hi,

Here's a link to our curriculum for this week

www.med.uwo.ca/ume/sched0...verall.htm

Assuming that I've done this correctly, you'll be able to see our class schedules for the entire year! Hope this helps! If you want more along the lines of what we do personally week in and week out, don't hesitate to ask!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest Emila

Hi Timmy,

Thanks, I didn't realize you could see more detailed schedules from that webpage.

Is PCL anything like PBL?

How does the case of the week work?

Is the self directed learning time just for studying or do you have a specific assignment?

What's your favourite part of the weekly schedule?

Guest hmsdread

Hi Emila,

As far as I know, PCL and PBL are fairly similar. We get a particular scenario each week; the "case of the week", or affectionately the "COW". We then have a few days to research particular objectives and we discuss these objectives in a small group, 7-8 people, with a faculty facilitator present. For example, we may have a scenario about a patient who is deaf. Some objectives may be:

1. What kind of deafness does the patient have based on the presenting symptoms.

2. Does being deaf impact on one's career choices and lifestyle, and if so, how.

3. Discuss the "culture of the deaf".

4. What type of services are available within the community to assist deaf people.

These are just some examples off the top of my head, but this is the kind of thing we do for PCL.

Self-directed learning time = nap time. (Ie. you're free to do whatever you want).

In general my favorite part of the week is Friday when we have clinical methods, because it is the "hands on" doctor stuff - interviewing and physical exam skills. Classes can only be so interesting, know what I mean? Mondays and Tuesdays in general are pretty rough, usually with 7 hours of lectures per day. Not a lot of fun, but a few coffees and a little perserverance gets you through. Wednesdays are nice because we only have PCL for 2 hours. Thursdays USED to be nice, because we had the entire afternoon off for self-directed learning time, which many people used to do clinical electives. There is a disturbing trend afoot of depriving us of our Thursday afternoons this quarter, however. We'll see if that continues or if its just a temporary thing.

Do you have an interview at UWO this year? If so good luck. I hope the above helped.

hmsdread

Guest JSS02

As far as I know our PCL has similarities to PBL at other schools.

The case of the week involves a patient (either real or standardized) coming in first thing on Monday morning and being interviewed by a member of the class. The disease will relate to the block we are studying for the week. For example, during one of our Immunology weeks we had an HIV patient come in. The rest of the class can ask the patient questions about his/her disease and illness experience. One of the PCL groups is responsible for leading an "objective-setting" exercise where people in the class give suggestions regarding the issues (categorized under disease, illness, context, person, etc.) surrounding the case that could be discussed at our PCL small group sessions on Wednesday. Some of these suggestions will be used by the PCL coordinator (one of our profs) and posted on the PCL website as the objectives for the week. We're then responsible for doing the appropriate research to enable us to discuss these objectives during the PCL small group session.

Self-directed learning is free time. You COULD use it to study, but also for relaxing, going to the gym, etc. :)

Clinical methods is my favourite part of the week. During first year it's used for interviewing skills and primary physical exam skills.

-Jeff

Guest mying

There are those who more accurately refer to Self-directed Learning (SDL) time as "Self-directed Laundry".

I recall in the winter of first year, with limited amounts of "clinical methods clothes" (which sadly required "special care") and unlimited amounts of slush, laundry was a rather significant part of my week.

Guest aneliz

Well, in our opinion, the primary difference between UWO and the other Ontario schools is the spirit....99.9% of the meds classes live IN London...(usually within 10 minutes bus/walk/drive of school) and most of us don't have other family or friends in London....which means that we spend A LOT of time planning and going to social events, intramural sports, clubs, extracurrics and other events together. I didn't find that the other Ontario schools had quite so much community 'spirit' as UWO did...

In terms of curriculum...well, we have a decent curriculum. There is nothing about UWO that is defining in terms of curriculum....we have lots of class hours in first and second year....we are taught and tested in subject related blocks....we have some PCL (not much, but some)....we have decent hospitals, a great clerkship/4th year elective set up in terms of CaRMS deadlines....a 4th year transition period that gives you lots of time to study for the LMCC.....

I personally chose UWO because it was a good balance between the type of curriculum I felt I wanted and a great community/social support system within the meds classes. I didn't want to go to a 'commuter school', I didn't want to live in a really large city, I didn't think I could cope with an all PBL curriculum...I wasn't a big fan of Queen's clerkship timelines...so that left UWO...and I haven't regretted the decision at all!

Guest TimmyMax

I liked the swanky UWO Meds lounge. It was a real dealbreaker for me. Oh, and something about billetting with the best billetter in the world, being shown a fabulous time by the (2nd) best meds class in the world and having the honour of being interviewed at the best medical school in the world!!! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived