Premed 101 Forums

MCAT scores

Guest chriskim23

Guest chriskim23

I was wondering if I do not release my MCAT scores of August 2002, will it hurt my chances in admission to UWO and other schools! Note: I will be rewriting the MCAT this summer again and hopefully improve a point or two and make the MCAT cut-off for UWO and other schools! Should I release the August 2002 scores?

Don't release your scores to Canadian schools. They only consider your most recent scores.

American schools are another story; some consider the most recent, some consider the best, many consider both sets.

C.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Different schools in Canada consider the MCAT differently. The Ontario schools have typically used your latest MCAT score (therefore, if the MCAT policies do not change then the 2002 score will be irrelevant if you rewrite this year); however, other schools (such as Calgary and UBC, and possibly some others) use your best MCAT scores, or even a combination thereof (written within a certain time span).

Since each school may use subtly different policies, it's best to investigate each individually.

Cheers and good luck with your writing this year,

Kirsteen

(This should probably move to the MCAT forum.)

Guest chriskim23

Thanks for the replies!

So, to confirm, I should not release my August 2002 scores, but obviously will have no choice with the August 2003. I am hoping that not releasing my scores to Ontario schools will not hurt my chances, but if policies change, then I can always go back and release them.

Thank you so much!

That should be fine. If you write the MCAT again this summer, you should be able to submit only those scores to OMSAS (ie not release 2002 MCAT). It shouldn't effect you at all. That said...make sure when you get your confirmation from OMSAS next year that the MCAT scores that they have recorded are from the correct set. (Sometimes mistakes happen). I know of at least one applicant this year that neglected to check and didn't discover that it was their old scores on the application until they got a surprise rejection letter from UWO....

Archived