Premed 101 Forums

Virtual Organic Chemistry Lab

Xixi

Because of the closure of the city, the school’s organic chemistry experiment classes have been converted to virtual. Virtual lab and on-site lab must have its drawbacks, but I don’t know how much difference is there?  Will it have any influence on the study of this course in the future?  I want to hear your opinion.

I am currently in a virtual organic chemistry lab and it has not been a very good learning experience. I find that orgo is a class where you really need to be in the lab and doing things in order to understand the material, as well as learn lab techniques that would be useful in upper-years. Basically for our lab we are either given the data right away, or we have to use a program called beyond labs where we drag and drop things in the "lab" to simulate the experiment, very ineffective. 

However, this might just be me. I have always been a kinaesthetic learner, I need to be doing things in order to understand. Especially in science courses, reading will not suffice in most cases. So for me I feel that my future studies in orgo chem would be impacted, and definitely in that most of this year's first years have never set foot in a university lab. 

The only reason I am not worried in because in my program you only take one orgo chem class and then never again.