Premed 101 Forums

McGill waitlist

Guest Tonick

Does anyone know if the McGill out of province waiting list usually moves at all??? Please share past experiences, or if you've heard anything from others...

Thanks

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ChinaMan2004

Hi,

I have heard that usually it goes up to the 5th or 6th...there was one year it actually went up to 11th for OOP student...but that was a rarity tho...

If you don't mind, could you share with us your ranking?

Thanks dude, but what makes you think I'm in? LOL... I dunno if the list is gonna move by 7, remember, that means 7 out of the 10 accepted people have to withdraw their application!!!

Anyways, I wish you luck on your UBC goal!!!

Guest FullMetalDS

hey all,

i wouldn't worry about it for now tonick, seems that all the waitlist movement happens around may-aug when admissions decisions are sent out by other med/dent schools...from last year's posts, #7 got in 2 yrz ago, so there's hope fo sho! just sit back and relax for now....you don't wanna burn holes into ur food sack from stressing out

i'm rooting hard for you, cuz if you get in, then i'd be in too haha....i'm at #3 :)

sorry to hear the bad news from mcgill chinaman, but according to previous years ubc takes most of their interviewees (most of the accepted drop ubc for other skooz) so chances there are looking good for u....i'm also waiting to hear from them....ubc and mcgill are both my first choice schools....i know, kind of a big difference in tuition btwn the two hehe

Guest slysniper

Well, technically you are not #7 on the waiting list, the thing is McGill takes 13 oops and so far only 10 has been admitted (the admission lady told me that). So, pretty much you are number 4 on the list if you know what I mean. I am also on the watinglist too, somwhere close to your spot. Well, I guess all we can do is pray for now, wait and chill :smokin

Guest ChinaMan2004

Yeah...i know...UBC has this insane deposit...but well, this deposit is applied against tuition in first semester...and unless you are super rich and can toss around 40K like it's in your pocket, i guess you will very likely get a loan from bank and wutnot...in that case, your crazy deposit will be paid off...= )

And thanks to you, Fullmetal~ I am crossing my fingers like they are born that way...:rollin ...and Jackie from the admission office said we should hear back the latest next week if not this week...^^..so let's all wait and see...dun over cross your fingers..coz it hurts..:P

Guest FullMetalDS

woah....slysniper, are you sure about that? cuz that would make me a very happy man....are you sure the 3 extra oop don't come from another pool (ie. post-bac)?

fingers toes butt cheeks all crossed for us all :)

Guest icydentist

sly,

when did you find out they're taking 13 oop? I was told by admissions 2 days ago that they will take 10 to 13 oops, but they don't know how many yet. last year they said they might take more but only took 10.

oh well, my fingers are crossed for 13.

Guest BeEasyy

How did you guys know the results are out?! I never got anything from them, no email no letter. I am gonna check it out now, shoot my heart is pounding a techno beat with tempo = 200 phew.:o

Guest FullMetalDS

you can check your status on www.mcgill.ca/applicants/minerva....g'luck!

i just phoned in and Pat tells me they do take 10-13 oops though it's not for certain yet...apparently it depends on how many ips they take, though i don't know exactly how....

on a side note:

word has it from a very credible source that the ubc adcom only met for the first time last night to decide who gets admitted, and results should be out next week...so just settle down for now boys and girls :)

Guest FullMetalDS

ahah so much for my credible source...ubc acceptance has been sent out already :rollin

i've been turned down by ubc, though my place on the waitlist means i still have a chance :\ at least now i wouldn't have to decide between ubc and mcgill right away!

Guest FullMetalDS

let me just say that my gpa is very very slightly above the average dent applicant, my DAT was not impressive (AA 21 Chem 22 Bio 19 Reading 22 Carving 15 if you really want to know)...so frankly i'm quite boggled at how i ended up 3rd on the waitlist....though i'm not complaining of course :b

i'm guessing they're not lying when ppl hypothesize that the interview and personal statements are weighted heavily, though i can't even say that i felt my interviewers were impressed with me...

best of luck beeasy :]

Guest BeEasyy

Fullmetal, u have some very good DAT scores. I dunno how high your GPA is, but if by slightly above average u mean around 3.6, this makes one conclude that DAT scores is weighed heavily in McGill, cuz my GPA is ok (around 3.86), I have a masters, and my interviewers were constantly commenting on my "accomplishments" and stuff during the interview (i.e. they were openly stating that they liked me!). But my DAT scores suck, AA is 18, PAT 20, Carving 17.

Best of luck to you too dude.

Guest dentforsure

Hey guys,

Just wanna give a word of encouragement...i've been on that dreadful McGill waitlist. It surely doesn't move as much as the UBC one...but I was #4 on the waitlist...and I got in about 2nd week of July. The list didn't start moving till about mid-June and #1-3 all turned down the offer b/c some got into med school and some got into other schools. So if you are #1-5 on the waitlist...count yourself in!

Cheers, dentforsure.

Guest FullMetalDS

hi dentforsure,

i was actually reading your posts a year ago, and it truly was an exciting read, especially when you finally got in! :lol i sure hope this year will be like the last.....waiting sucks though doesn't it :\

thx for the encouragement nonetheless!!

Archived