Premed 101 Forums

McGill waitlist

Guest Tonick

Guest Tonick

A 3.7 is pretty much required, along with good letters and a good personal statement. They take 10 OOPs, but have been known to take up to 13 a year. They also take 10 Quebecers, and 10 CEGEP (not sure if that's how it's spelled) students. They want you to give in your transcripts at the end of the year but I don't think they care much about 4th year final marks.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tonick

Fairly soon I think, because the deadline for McGill is November. I filled mine out last year in Mid-September, it's very quick and easy.

Guest slysniper

Hey, ya all McGill keeners, has anyone called Pat to see if it is going to be 13? It is supposed to happen sometime this week (I think). Please be 13

Guest Tonick

I'm hoping it becomes 13 too... It can make a huge difference for waitlist movement. Btw I talked to Pat a few days ago and she told me that movement is anticipated in the next couple of weeks, but nothing was said about the extension to 13 o.o.p.s

Guest FullMetalDS

wow, you guy's just got me all excited again! how certain was pat about extending the number acceptances to 13? hmm i wonder if she'd tell me what exactly the decision hinges on if i asked...

was initially planning to call after all my finals but i think i'll give her a call this coming week instead

hey lest, has the person dropped already or hasn't done so yet but is pretty sure he/she will?

Guest crest vs colgate

If you don't mind me asking, to those who are excited about the possibility of McGill taking 13 oops, what are your positions on the wait list.

How far do you think it will go down? They said in the letter it probably won't go past 7.

Guest sparhawkbeans

crest....in #2...If they ARE taking 13 oops which is good, but I'll still be kind of annoyed. Had they decided to take 13 oops to begin with....I wouldve been able to save 9K from the ubc deposit. :rolleyes

Guest Tonick

I was #7, so I guess if they take 13 OOPs I'll then be #4....Do you guys think I have a chance???

Also do you think year 4 marks will affect us, or are the rankings unchangeable at this point?

Guest FullMetalDS

just called in today and pat is not in...this other lady was more conservative about the possibility that 13 would be accepted, saying that it was 'rare' that that would happen...it depended on how much movement there is on the ip or oop waitlist, again, i do not know exactly how BUT:

if A LOT of waitlist movement = 3 more ppl accepted, that's good news for all of us, but i don't see why they would do this

if NO waitlist movement = 3 more ppl accepted, that's not so good for most of us (tho i'm hanging by a thread at #3) but at least waitlist movement is more likely with more acceptances

she also said that there hasn't been any waitlist movement yet...

welp, i guess that means i'll be going to the uwo interview afterall :b

Guest opnbsp

I personally think it's opinion #2 FullMetalDS. It seems more likely that to induce waitlist movement they may take more OOP. Don't know why it's so important to have waitlist movement though, that they would accept more OOP just so waitlist can move (i'm not complaining one bit, just wondering). Either way let hope it goes up high this year.

Guest FullMetalDS

i have no idea...but either way, i think the two of us are in pretty good positions. afterall, even without accepting more ppl, according to last year's waitlist activity we'd both get in :)

Guest icydentist

it moved 5 last year.

hey, does anyone really think they'll take 13 this year? the feeling I'm getting from adcom is that it's a possibility, in the same way that there's a chance all 10 of the initial offers will be declined.

I thought they might take more to compensate for the double cohort, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Guest opnbsp

So really only 2 people declined it seems. Depends how many people on the waitlist have McGill as their first choice this year, and it seems alot do, just a speculation.

Guest dentforsure

In my year, I know they didn't take 13...they only took 10. But i do know that one of the upper years have more than 10 oops.

The waitlist moves very very slow. It won't move till probably in mid june when those who are accepted and have paid their deposit are allowed to drop their spot and get $1000 of the deposit back. I know one person dropped on June 15th last year...and it kinda dragged along for a while because #1,2,3 turned it down or didn't even reply to Pat. But then Another person dropped in July 5th-ish. And they admitted me on July 12th. So ya...overall...i think there were 2 out of the 10 ppl who got admitted first round dropped their spot.

i know it's a painful process...but u know what...i know majority of mcgill waitlisters eventually get in somewhere else. good luck to all of you.

Guest Aplusdent

Dentforsure....let's pretend you hadn't been admitted to any school by the time July had rolled around. And you were waiting solely on the waitlist for McGill to move. Did you have any other plans for the fall if you didn't get in? I'm just wondering since people in Canada have to wait so long to find out if they get in or not...it's a big burden, because then if you don't get in by let's say May, you have to start planning what you will do in the fall (while anxiously waiting to get in during June or July). Sounds crazy...next application session I'll hear from the U.S. schools starting in December...that means I'll also have to wait for all the Canadian schools to contact me until like June/July...and some U.S. schools start in July....geezzz....

Guest dentforsure

Yeah...I had tones of job offers and I actually have already accepted a job offer back in February, which was supposed to start in August. And I heard back from UA and UM at the end of June. So I just turned it down right away. I wasn't going to reapply to dent, cuz I did a professional degree in undergrad.

Guest dentforsure

Yeah...I had job offers and I actually had already accepted a job offer back in February, which was supposed to start in August. But then I heard back from UA and UM at the end of June. So I just turned down job offer right away. And then in mid july I heard back from McGill. Anyways, I wasn't going to reapply to dent and I was just going to enter the workforce.

But ya...I see your dilemma, most schools in US starts in mid-august. So you should be able to wait till then. I know someone in my class didn't get accepted to any canadian schools but got accepted to a US school. She decided to defer the US acceptance for a year and try canadian schools again...and she ended up getting accepted the 2nd time.

hope that helps.

Archived