Premed 101 Forums

MCAT CARS tutoring services?

Hi all,

I have taken the MCAT a few times now, scoring 122 and then finally 124. Although I am eligible to apply to UBC Med, I would like to improve my MCAT. I know that my current methods are not working because I am barely scoring the minimum. 

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good MCAT CARS tutoring services? Has anyone done this in the past? Any other tips and advice that you may have? I would greatly appreciate it as the CARS section is the only one that is bringing me down and I would like to change that.

(Note: I have UWorld and have tried **DELETED**, but would like to try something new)

Thank you!

• cars2021 changed the title to MCAT CARS tutoring services?
  • 2 weeks later...

The second time I took my MCAT, I took the Prep 101 MCAT course since I knew I wasn't disciplined enough to get through all the content and practice on my own atop all my other ECs (the first time I took the MCAT, I had to void because my self-study was that bad). It was very helpful for following a guideline to study content and allowed me to focus on practicing. Overall, my biggest advice, especially on improving CARS, would be to practice and then review all questions (both correct and incorrect answers). The reason it's especially advantageous to review your correct answers is to fully appreciate the reason why you were correct and if you made a correct guess, to understand how you came to make that guess. For me, by taking a prep course, I learned content during class, and then outside of class, I exclusively focused on practicing full lengths and half lengths.

By the way, my MCAT score was 514 (129/126/128/131) so still not crazy high; plus my GPA isn't high either, had an 84% OGPA (86% AGPA since I finished my BSc). Got accepted into UBC VFMP this year in my second try, feel free to check out the accept/waitlist/reject page for my stats. Overall, you don't really need an insanely high MCAT to get into UBC thank goodness - I think it's the interview that's often the make or break, so as long as you have a MCAT score that is competitive, I wouldn't be too worried (i.e. above 508 is fine, but preferably over 510). UBC prioritizes their students' lived experiences so be sure to continue reflecting and improving on yourself rather than worrying too much about your academic stats! Best of luck to you :D