Premed 101 Forums

For student rentals, the agreements usually run from June-May. So usually people move out by end of May. This arrangement is typical for say a group of 3-4 students that rent a house together and each take 1 room in the house with shared bathroom, kitchen etc. Some people like this, get to make friends and have more social living. Usually more economical, as each person pays about 500-600 per month and can share internet and other costs with other people.

Some people leave the unit empty during the summer. Others try to sublet. Of course you are free to negotiate the term with your landlord.

Another option is to rent an apartment/condo on Richmond St, either by yourself or with another roommate. This could give you more privacy and freedom but cost is usually higher. Same with condo/apartments near Masonville mall. 

People do variety of things, some go home and relax, some travel, some volunteer abroad, some have jobs and make money, some do research. There is no "right" way to do it, and all depends on your personal aspirations, circumstances etc. 

There are quite a few FB groups for UWO housing, if you are looking for roommates you can either contact your classmates on their FB group, or see if you wanna have some adventure and be roommate with other strangers.

5 hours ago, shikimate said:

Another option is to rent an apartment/condo on Richmond St, either by yourself or with another roommate. This could give you more privacy and freedom but cost is usually higher. Same with condo/apartments near Masonville mall. 

This is what I'm in the process of doing. I will be renting alone. I'm still unclear about rental agreements, particularly my question #3. 

According to this, it seems that school ended (discovery week excluded) for class of 2024 on May 21st. If you wanted to stay in London after your rental agreement ended in May... what would you do? Do you start looking for a new place altogether? Talk to your landlord to extend your lease?

Also, do most students live in the same apartment 2 years in a row - or do they move their things out during the summer and move in to a new place in August?

It entirely depends on your rental agreement! I signed mine for 6 months when I moved in and after that it turned into a month-to-month lease (i.e. I can leave at any time given I provide appropriate notice). Probably something worth discussing with your landlord/building manager! I am going into my third year in a row in the same apartment, but some classmates did chose to move after first year if they didn't end up liking the apartment or if they decided they wanted roommates. I've also seen several classmates put up postings to sublet, and I know of classmates who simply continue to pay for their apartment even though they aren't living there so that it's ready for them to come back in the new school year (this option entirely depends on how much of that line of credit you're willing to use up). 

My advice would be to overshoot your lease instead of coming up short. You never know what opportunities will come up during the school year that might make you want to stay in the area over the summer, and if you've signed a 12 month lease you'll be covered. If you decide not to stay it's very likely you'll be able to find a student to sublet, especially considering things will (fingers crossed) be mostly back to normal by next summer so there will probably be lots of students looking for places in London. 

Hope that helps!