Premed 101 Forums

FM-EM +1: MCCQE Part 1 on CaRMS Application

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into how highly the various FM-EM +1 programs take into account an applicant's MCCQE Part 1 score. Looking at the program descriptions on the CaRMS website it looks like majority of programs require you to submit your score. 

I was planning to write the MCCQE Part 1 early to get it out of the way. However, I'm now wondering if I should be allocating as much time as possible to study to try and score as high as I can, if a few years down the line they will be using it in the EM +1 admission decisions. 

Any input would be appreciated! 

Thanks

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, mccqefail said:

I just found out I failed the MCCQE by 3 points... planning to re-take in the fall. Am I absolutely hooped for any FM fellowships or do I still have a chance if I pass the 2nd attempt?

I just want you to know you are not alone. I've just found out I failed MCCQE1 by 3 points myself. And I can assure you I was/am your average medical student. Never failed an exam during my long history as a student (med school or before), my knowledge never was an issue during preclinical years or rotations. Just like you, I matched fine. Yet, I've failed. Is it my fault? Yes. Is the exam weird? Yes. At least now, we know what the exam looks like and can prepare accordingly.

You can also ask for your exam to be rechecked for 265$. The (very) little info I found about it does not sound very encouraging. Most people write their score didn't change at all (still on the fence about it myself).

https://mcc.ca/examinations/mccqe-part-i/results/

Concerning your question about enhanced skills, I am not in family medicine, but for what I've understood, some residency programs do not even care about whether you've failed your MCCQE1 or not. Check to see whether you are obliged to inform your program about your results. If you are not obliged, the decision on whether you want it to be known is yours (if you fear the opinion your attendings/program director have of you might change and influence your evals versus getting more support and help to study for a better score).

Going through last cycle's enhanced skills description for emergency medicine, I have not seen any program asking for MCCQE1 scores (but many ask for your clerkship evals, go figure), so I assume that in their eyes, a MCCQE1 score is not the best metric to evaluate your ability to be a great emergency doc.  

10 hours ago, Mimish said:

I just want you to know you are not alone. I've just found out I failed MCCQE1 by 3 points myself. And I can assure you I was/am your average medical student. Never failed an exam during my long history as a student (med school or before), my knowledge never was an issue during preclinical years or rotations. Just like you, I matched fine. Yet, I've failed. Is it my fault? Yes. Is the exam weird? Yes. At least now, we know what the exam looks like and can prepare accordingly.

You can also ask for your exam to be rechecked for 265$. The (very) little info I found about it does not sound very encouraging. Most people write their score didn't change at all (still on the fence about it myself).

https://mcc.ca/examinations/mccqe-part-i/results/

Concerning your question about enhanced skills, I am not in family medicine, but for what I've understood, some residency programs do not even care about whether you've failed your MCCQE1 or not. Check to see whether you are obliged to inform your program about your results. If you are not obliged, the decision on whether you want it to be known is yours (if you fear the opinion your attendings/program director have of you might change and influence your evals versus getting more support and help to study for a better score).

Going through last cycle's enhanced skills description for emergency medicine, I have not seen any program asking for MCCQE1 scores (but many ask for your clerkship evals, go figure), so I assume that in their eyes, a MCCQE1 score is not the best metric to evaluate your ability to be a great emergency doc.  

Thanks a lot for posting!

From what I saw there were a few that asked for the scores. Does anyone know if you have to submit all scores, or can we just submit the final one? Some also said "anything that was submitted would be considered" does that mean we don't have to submit to those programs?

I don't see any indication that my program requires us to submit QE1 scores, so for now I'm not going to. I think I'll just use a week of vacation to re-write it and just keep it to myself.

3 hours ago, mccqefail said:

Thanks a lot for posting!

From what I saw there were a few that asked for the scores. Does anyone know if you have to submit all scores, or can we just submit the final one? Some also said "anything that was submitted would be considered" does that mean we don't have to submit to those programs?

I don't see any indication that my program requires us to submit QE1 scores, so for now I'm not going to. I think I'll just use a week of vacation to re-write it and just keep it to myself.

I've looked through the MCCQE1 reports people received over the years. There does not seem to be mention of the number of times you've attempted the exam. Therefore, theoretically, enhanced skills programs cannot know if or when you've tried it for the first time. However, they can wonder why you've done it later than other candidates based on the date written on the report (to what you either tell the truth, which I would do myself, or answer you've tried doing the exam a few times over your own computer, it crashed every time and by the time you decided you would rather do it in their facility, there were no more dates available for in-facility exams and you had to push it to the next cycle of exam dates available). But if they don't ask, don't mention it.

If the enhanced skills program does not clearly demand your MCCQE1 scores, you are in no way obliged to submit them (any of them). They do not expect to receive it in your candidacy documentation (if they did, they would state it word-for-word). If they write "anything that was submitted would be considered" without mentioning you needing to submit MCCQE1 in mandatory documents, don't submit it. I would argue it is better not to submit any extra documentation at all (you never know how people will interpret it). If they do ask for a MCCQE1 score, send the one you've passed. 

If you feel the CDM part is what made it difficult for you to perform well, consider buying one of the MCC's practice exams with answers. People on the internet said they were worth the investment, if only to get used to the format and see what the MCC considers an acceptable answer.

Good luck to you!!! I am sure everything will be okay (whether it is the next attempt at the MCCQE1 or your applying to an enhanced skills program).

7 hours ago, Mimish said:

I've looked through the MCCQE1 reports people received over the years. There does not seem to be mention of the number of times you've attempted the exam. Therefore, theoretically, enhanced skills programs cannot know if or when you've tried it for the first time. However, they can wonder why you've done it later than other candidates based on the date written on the report (to what you either tell the truth, which I would do myself, or answer you've tried doing the exam a few times over your own computer, it crashed every time and by the time you decided you would rather do it in their facility, there were no more dates available for in-facility exams and you had to push it to the next cycle of exam dates available). But if they don't ask, don't mention it.

If the enhanced skills program does not clearly demand your MCCQE1 scores, you are in no way obliged to submit them (any of them). They do not expect to receive it in your candidacy documentation (if they did, they would state it word-for-word). If they write "anything that was submitted would be considered" without mentioning you needing to submit MCCQE1 in mandatory documents, don't submit it. I would argue it is better not to submit any extra documentation at all (you never know how people will interpret it). If they do ask for a MCCQE1 score, send the one you've passed. 

If you feel the CDM part is what made it difficult for you to perform well, consider buying one of the MCC's practice exams with answers. People on the internet said they were worth the investment, if only to get used to the format and see what the MCC considers an acceptable answer.

Good luck to you!!! I am sure everything will be okay (whether it is the next attempt at the MCCQE1 or your applying to an enhanced skills program).

Thanks, this is super helpful

I'm almost certain the CDM section screwed me. The multiple choice I didn't find to be too bad, CDM I had no idea if I was on the right track or not. Super annoying as I'm already getting pretty good feedback from preceptors 3 weeks in, so I don't think it is a knowledge issue

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2022 at 8:45 AM, Mimish said:

Thank you for your detailed answer!

I have a question - I am applying to a +1 where there are a couple programs that demand MCCQE1 results. From the "physiciansapply.ca transfer" tab, my understanding is that CaRMS asks whether I authorize sharing the results to "programs I applied to", as seen in the picture under "4." in this link: https://carms.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030834572-Why-does-my-MCC-exam-say-Incomplete-Record-. Is there a way to pick and choose which programs get the results and which do not?

On 8/31/2022 at 6:23 PM, Aiya said:

Thank you for your detailed answer!

I have a question - I am applying to a +1 where there are a couple programs that demand MCCQE1 results. From the "physiciansapply.ca transfer" tab, my understanding is that CaRMS asks whether I authorize sharing the results to "programs I applied to", as seen in the picture under "4." in this link: https://carms.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030834572-Why-does-my-MCC-exam-say-Incomplete-Record-. Is there a way to pick and choose which programs get the results and which do not?

Although I have been through this process myself a few years ago...already..
My understand was that programs who requested the result ended up getting it , and programs who are not requesting it won't get it.