Premed 101 Forums

UBC DMD Class of 2010

Guest johnwoo19

Guest FullMetalDS

i agree with you adversary, staying close to home is the only reason i would choose ubc over other schools...the new clinic itself looks impressive but certainly does not deserve the excessively high tuition...

furthermore, the expensive deposit isn't a problem if admitted people are serious about staying at ubc, but why would ubc set their admissions process way ahead of other schools (other than mcgill)? to me, it seems that they know many students would opt to go to other schools when given the opportunity, and use the early admissions decision to rip deposit money from people intent on securing a position...this would NOT be a problem if their acceptance letters were sent out at around the same time as other schools, which could easily be done to save students some money!!!

something should really be done about this...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Adversary

Well, I have to admit that I did like the early acceptance. It's nice to know early on. A tremendous amount of burden was lifted off me and I felt like I was sailing in the ocean for months. It was a good feeling. Other schools should follow suit and send out acceptance as early. It's really nice to be able to start planning your summer break, etc, rather than panic when summer comes.

Guest FullMetalDS

true enough, waiting does suck (waiting for ubc and mcgill now hah)...

trying to convince all the other schools to make their decisions earlier does not seem feasible...ubc won't extend the deadline for paying the deposit, or refund part of the deposit if acceptance is withdrawn before a certain date, since this won't help with ubc's high waitlist movement which was the point of the high deposit in the first place...

then i guess ubc will either have to accept that their high tuition is driving ppl away, or boost their reputation to the point where students can accept a 45000/year tuition...

i wonder how many tens of thousands of dollars they must've earned each year on abandoned deposit money

Guest sensodyne

yeah, i agree w/ you guys. If I choose to go to UBC, it won't actually have anything directly to do w/ the school itself. it's my home province and I love Vancouver and its weather. I can't imagine how hard it would be for me to live in Ontario or better yet, Alberta although I'm sure I will adjust eventually.

Do you know what they said at the finanicial info session when a guy asked why the deposit is so high? To encourage only the people who are truly set on going to UBC. haha. If every applicant knew that UBC's curriculum "sucks" compared to those of the other schools, no one would have their hearts set on UBC. I know that 8900 is not all that much in the long-term but to me, 8900 is still 8900. On the other hand, even if I forfeit my deposit and decide to go elsewhere, I will be saving more than 20 grand per year.

oh UBC also said that they use the forfeited deposits for burseries. hmm...sounds more like BS to me. Did you guys know that u of a's deposit is only $175?

sorry but I have to rant some more about the clinic fee. How does UBC justify charging a 20K clinic fee to the first and second year students when those students don't even get any clinical experience until the end of second year? And I couldn't care less about the fabulous new clinic b/c I won't see it for 2 years anyways.

I really do hope I get in somewhere else. However, I am thankful that I at least got into one school. I have much less pressure going into my other interview knowing that I have UBC to fall back on.

Guest sensodyne

here's what should be a CDA question:

how ethical do you think it is that UBC requires an almost 10 grand deposit 2 months before any other school sends their offers? (no matter how confident I feel about getting into the other schools that I've applied to, I'm not going to roll the dice and decline the UBC offer):|

Guest icydentist

Haha.... that would've been a good reply when yer asked if u have any questions about the school.

The new building + clinics are amazing and so is the weather and the beaches nearby but the tuition is unbelievable compared to other cdn schools!!!!!!! Makes an otherwise easy choice tough. :(

I read that you can deduct the clinic fee from your taxes, does that mean you get half of it back? Has anyone gone through this?

Guest sensodyne

haha...yeah, why didn't I think of that question a few weeks ago? :rollin

tax-deductable? really? half? Adversary or Madflosin should know about this.

the sub-standard curriculum also makes "an otherwise easy decision tough." Imagine how the current dent students must feel having to go to the same classes as the med students--nevermind the material not even being relevant to dentistry--and yet, they pay more than twice as much as them.

Guest dds2be

the clinic fee is tax deductible...just means that you can use it to decrease your taxable income once you start working....the same thing can be done to tuition fees...on education expenses you get a "tax credit" equivalent to the percentage of tax you pay in the lowest tax bracket (regardless of your income)...so you essentially get an approx 20% (of your clinic fees) "tax credit" once you start working...the same thing can be done with other schools tution fees...hope that helps

• 3 weeks later...
Guest UBC DMD for me

For those of you high on UBC's waitlist, apparently the deadline for paying the deposit is this Friday (24th March)- so second round offers could go out as early as next week :rollin

Anyone planning on dropping like ecoli? ;)

Guest sensodyne

i paid my deposit today, but i'm going to be dropping my spot if another dental school comes knocking on my door. i noticed on jackie's sheet that 5 others had not paid theirs yet. those 5 still have 2 more days though.

yellow, you intending to go to ubc in the Fall or are you waiting for other schools?

Guest Brucybkidcapri

I'm in the same boat as Senso. Paid my deposit a week ago but im holding out final judgement until I hear from any other offers.

And YES, I realize the potential financial loss/gain but in the end,, a decision as important as this should not hang in the balance of a $8900 "career security deposit".

Good luck to everyone on lists or who are still waiting for news.

• 1 month later...
Guest Braces2005

I got in march with the rest of you early 40 acceptances but, I didn't post until i finished my exams. As of now, Im going to UBC unless there are other offers. I know how you guys feel, the 8900 dollars, whoa baby!

Congrats to everyone!

Guest toothy1985

hey all, Congrats to those who got in! You guys really worked hard and made it there, enjoy ur studies! and best wishes. Wondering if any of those accepted would like to list their GPA and DAT stats and schools they applied to and all.It would be helpful to an OOP like myself plus any advice would be wonderful.

Thanks and have an amazing summer,

• 1 month later...
Guest dentin09

Quick question...

My friend narrowly missed acceptance into this year's UBC Dental class and is curious as to how much turnover has occurred within the top 40.

So I can give him a range, how many students paid their deposits but are declining their spots to go elsewhere?

Or who has been called by UBC in the last few months for a spot after not being initially accepted? ... and what was your percentile ranking?

Thanks for the info. Cheers.

Guest Adversary

I believe last year it went down to the 30 percentile. There is a high turnover so tell your friend not to worry at all. I know the last person to be called for the class of 2009 was the thursday before the monday school started. So yeah, anything is possible.

If anyone is going to UBC, feel free to contact me. I am part of the DMD09 class and have already talked to 3 of you DMD10's. I am happy to provide any personal experience and answer any questions you may have about the upcoming year.

Congrats again!

Guest Adversary

Last year it was in early to mid July. My advice is to book your immunization review appointment early before school starts. Otherwise, when you do so in September, your appointment will be in November.

Make sure you visit your family doctor to get all your immunization records. Not all keep it for you. If you don't have proof, you will need the shots again. For sure, you will need a TB test. Try to do this test BEFORE your immunization record review. Saves you an appointment. The TB test can be done at the BC Centre for Disease Control (there's an office immediately right of the front doors). It will cost you $20. You will have to make sure you can come back in 48 to 72 hours to have the skin test checked. Provide the results to the nurse when you go in for your immunization record review.

Guest dentin09
Quick question... My friend narrowly missed acceptance into this year's UBC Dental class and is curious as to how much turnover has occurred within the top 40. So I can give him a range, how many students paid their deposits but are declining their spots to go elsewhere? Or who has been called by UBC in the last few months for a spot after not being initially accepted? ... and what was your percentile ranking? Thanks for the info. Cheers.

Anyone else??!!?

Guest Adversary

Dentin09, last year UBC Dentistry gave acceptance to people in the 30 percentile. So you can see that the waitlist does move. I am sorry that your friend has to wait, but trust me, he/she is almost for sure getting acceptance by summer's end. If your friend decides to stick to UBC, have him/her contact me if he/she likes to. I am happy to provide my experience, what to do, and what to be aware of.

Cheers.

Archived