Premed 101 Forums

UBC DMD Class of 2010

Guest johnwoo19

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hychung

I got mine too! Finally! Isn't this a bitter-sweet event though. We have to fork over $8900 and forfeit it if we decide to go elsewhere. What other schools did you apply to Johnwoo? Perhaps I'll see you at UBC at the end of August.

Guest Ecoli11

I got mine too. But most likely I won't be paying the deposit unless I change my mind the last minute. Good luck to everyone. One more spot for those in the waiting list!

Guest ChinaMan2004

Okie...so I am out....

can you guys share your percentile ranking?...

sigh....guess i need to go do grad study now....

Guest yellow

Hey, did you guys get the attachment regarding the projected costs in the e-mail?

I didn't... :(

Btw, congratulations to everyone! :hat

Guest johnwoo19

Congrats hychung and ecoli! hychung, I also applied to UofT...still waiting to see about interview invites. What other schools have you applied to?

Ecoli, have you already decided on another school?

Chinaman, I have no idea about my percentile ranking. Don't get discouraged yet; try again next year! ;)

Congrats to you too yellow! Nope I didn't get the attachment. However, they did hand out a sheet with the costs for last year during the financial meeting.

Guest Ecoli11

John, congrats. I have decided that I am going to the states for dental school with my girlfriend, who's an American. It will either be University of Pittsburgh or NYU for me this coming school year. I know Canadian schools are much cheaper, but going to the same dental school with my girlfriend is priceless. Congrats to all who got in or those who are high on the waiting list. Chances are that the waiting list will move along pretty fast.

Guest hychung

congrats to you too as well Johnwoo AND everyone else who got in. I applied to u of a (have interview next weekend) and UWO for dental and 3 other medical schools. I wanted to apply to u of t is as well, but I don't have the physiology requirement--yes, I'll have to take the UWO challenge exam if I get an intervew. I won't be deciding on which school to attend to in the Fall, so I will unfortunately have to pay the non-refundable fee. I have to say this again that I think it's ridiculous how expensive the deposit AND the tuition is at UBC. On the other hand, the new clinic does look nice.

no, I didn't get the projected cost either but those are available on the ubc website. I'm assuming that that is going to be mailed with the official acceptance letter.

Guest madflossin

congrats ... but u dont want to go here ... the program sucks :x

if u got in at ubc u'll probably get in elsewhere too ... dont pay the deposit - thats my advice

Guest hychung

hey madflossin,

well, here's my dilemma. I had an interview at ubc med last weekend and have one for u of a dental next weekend. However, my chances of getting into u of a is low considering they only take 3 out-of-province students (if my memory serves me correct). I'm also waiting to hear from uwo but i know that they only accepted ONE BC student last year.

My chances are pretty good that I'll get into at least one medical school. However, I have yet to decide whether I want to pursue dentistry or medicine because they each have their pros and cons.

Anyhow, I know that the UBC dental program isn't all that great. You study w/ the med students and yet, you pay twice as much as them. Sure, the clinic is brand new but during thefirst 2 years, you don't get clinical experience--so why are we paying a clinic fee?

So could you tell me your reasons for saying that I shouldn't pay the deposit. Why does the program suck exactly?

Also, I don't know whether I can risk passing on UBC dentistry. After all, there is still a chance that I won't get into another school.

Thanks. Are you a UBC dental student btw?

Guest Kevthedent

congrad guys! ;)

unfortunately i am out :\

sigh

does anyone know how far down the waitinglist goes? i heard that a few years ago ubc re-consider regected applicants..... but at the time only 80 ppl got interviewed

so i guess things like this won't happen again

Guest hychung

hard to say...I heard last year they went to around #20 on the waiting list. however, that wasn't from an official admin person.

Guest FullMetalDS

hello, congratz to those who've been accepted to ubc! :] just came on to apologize for anyone who's read the mcgill waitlist thread and gotten my false info, my bad my bad...

i've been turned down by ubc, but i'm still on the waitlist at an ok percentile....according to last year's posts, i should be able to get in by sept if the waitlist activity is as high as last year, so i'm still remaining hopeful for ubc...

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

honestly if you got in, pay the deposit or wait until the last day it is due and see if you got into any cheaper ones.

Because it can't be all that bad.

Guest madflossin

hychung u hit the nail on the head ... its all of the above reasons that make it suck

the combined program w/ med is horrible and irrelevant ... and u feel so far behind when u dont even see a tooth (real or fake) for 2 years ... not to mention all the extra material you have to learn ... pregnancy monitoring ? ... reading ECG's? - cmon give me a break :rolleyes

and on top of that the faculty treats u like children .. monitoring ur attendence and what not ... and the pbl system is stupid also - it feels like elementary school - giving you marks for going up to the board etc.

not to mention its sooooo oooo god damn expensive also

and the waitlist will move all the way down ... (one girl in my class got in the weekend before classes started - she was almost at the end of the waitlist I believe - so it moved more than 30 spots)... if ur waitlisted its actually a blessing - cause then u dont have to make a rush decision about paying the deposit right now ... u'll have ubc as a backup plan at the end of the summer

I sometimes wish I had gone someplace else ... but I live in the lower mainland of BC - so it was home :\

madflossin: what's this 'attendance monitoring' thing that you speak of? and do the medical students get monitored too?

also, for pbl, what are these grades given out for goin to the board? do you mean that they mark based on participation (and again, are the med students graded this way too, or just dents)?

Guest johnwoo19

haha madflossin, yea I've done some PBL, so I think I already know what to expect (and what to be frustrated about)...lol, the "willing to write things on the board" aspect is so lame

Guest Qwigley

Hey hychung,

If you're not completely sure if you should do Med or Dent, maybe you should try a school where the programs are more fused (UBC, UofA, etc.). That way, you'll come to realize you've made the right/wrong decision (hopefully during your first year). If you get into both, you should ask the admissions people if switching after a year is possible (I know it's frowned upon but not impossible). Then you'll be able to make the best choice. I don't really know about UBC, but if you can possibly switch, then maybe you should start in Med (assuming the info about tuition being half as much and not doing ANY Dent stuff in the first two years is true). It would save you a pile of money. I have no idea if this would be possible though.

BTW, I think the ultimatum that UBC gives you sucks. I'm happy for your admission offer, but I feel sorry for your plight.

Guest hychung

thanks qwigly. yeah, I almost wish that I was wait-listed near the top, so that I could wait until the summer to get an offer from UBC dent. Then again, I'm relieved that I have finally gotten into a professional school.

I'll look into whether switching programs is possible, but like you said, it's frowned upon. Besides, my reasons for not being sure whether I want to go into dent or med is that I can see myself being happy being in either profession.

Anyhow, it looks like I'll be handing over my life-savings--the 8900 dollars--soon. I know that it's not a lot of money in the long-run considering I'll be earning a high income in the future but it still hurts. Talk about bitter-sweet.

Guest qw1222

8900! oh my god. Why do they do this? ok 1000 perhaps 2000 bucks I can understand. but almost 10,000!!!!!!!!!! Nuts.

P.S. I am so glad I didnt apply there!

Guest Adversary

Madflossin' is in UBC Dentistry and I can say he did not exaggerate the problems with the program. If you do have a choice, go with another school. However, if you value being close to your family and friends, like we did, stay. There's no other reason to choose UBC if there were choices.

Oh, funny you mention the deposit. They were actually debating whether to increase the fee to discourage people from dropping acceptances. They missed the real reason why: $45,000/year is way more than other schools. Plus, their reputation is lacking.

Archived