Premed 101 Forums

Course Load?

Guest power2005

Guest power2005

Do you think dental schools look at the courses that lead to your gpa?

ie. Is it fair to say that a 3.8 is better for someone with an arguably more difficult course load than say someone with a few "easy" electives, maybe some gpa boosting courses, etc.

Maybe universities should consider "weighting" courses in terms of their difficulty and developing a new grading system that benefits those that take more difficult courses.

I got an 85 in vertebrate physiology (A) and a 96 in biostatistics (A+). But the level of difficulty between these two courses is huge. I personally feel more gratified about the 85 in the hard course than a 96 in an easy course.

What do you all think???

OH..forgot to mention...the 85 was in the 10th decile...which means it was a grade in the top 10%...a class of about 50....so it was at least the 5th highest grade given out in that course. So not only is it a more difficult course in terms of material, but the grades given out are significantly lower.

Guest UofT DDS 2010

power2005,

To be honest when I started university I use to think taht schools will give u credit for the difficulty of ur program and the hard core courses u take, I use to buy into that theory heavily but then as the years went by, and after many talks w/ different admissions (from meds to dents) all suddenly u find out that all the hard core courses u've taken will not benefit u anymore than some 1 who has covered the pre-req's but has a higher GPA than urs despite whatever course or program they are in. I have worked myself literally to death in Engineering. Sci hoping that my work will be recognized, but in the end I truly think that ur GPA is all that will be reflected of who you are on "PAPER" (I stress that point). And besides, who is to say an 85 in N-sci is better than some 1 with a 90% in Biochemistry. I personally have lots of friends in Life sci who are absolutely brilliant people, they chosed life sci because they liked what they're studying, doesnt mean they wouldnt be able to do well if they were in engineering. The committee has too many apps to look at, and there is no-tool that can measure the level of difficulty between biochem v.s. N-sci or music. So at the end of the day for dentistry, its a # that will determine if u are qualified or not. So if i were u, cover what u need and bank points where u can.

As a side note, there are many people doing the so called "bird courses" but these are the same people i see get admitted to med and dental skools each year. I say "hell good for them", only if i had a different view earlier i'd do the same, thank GOD i'm in now so no more worries. Best of luck with ur choices.....:)

To all my engineering brothers & sisters, pleasz don't take this as an offense or anything - I myself have taking the stream and know what they put us through, I haven't forgotten yet......:o

Archived