Premed 101 Forums

What percentage of CMG in FM programs chose FM as their first choice?

3 hours ago, CaRMS2021 said:

Why do you think the FM/EM CaRMS match is so competitive haha

haha that makes sense now. I did not know that almost 1 in 4 FM residents did not pick FM as their first choice. I wonder what is the burn out rate and satisfaction rate with the field given the high proportions of individuals who did not pick it as their first choice specialty.

6 hours ago, lovemedicinesomuch said:

haha that makes sense now. I did not know that almost 1 in 4 FM residents did not pick FM as their first choice. I wonder what is the burn out rate and satisfaction rate with the field given the high proportions of individuals who did not pick it as their first choice specialty.

As someone who matched to a 5 year specialty...being done in 2 years and making real money/living life without the control of hospital admins is definitely appealing. I would think a lot of people end up pretty happy in family medicine. There's a lot of flexibility.

I was in the camp of people who had a preferred 5 year specialty, but would've been very much happy in family medicine as well. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 50-75% of the 25-30% who didn't rank FM as their first choice would be similar. But who knows, just my guess.