Premed 101 Forums

Advice for Matching to Family; FM vs IM

Hello,

I am part of a three year program about to enter clerkship soon, and for the longest time I have thought that I wanted internal medicine. Most of my EC's revolve around research, although I am part of some clubs/do some volunteering. After some clinical experiences, I am now learning more towards family.

I am wondering if family medicine cares as much about research as IM, and whether my research experience will be of any asset in matching. Other than electives, is there anything else I could really do to boost my chances of matching to a FM program of my choice?

As well, I would appreciate any insight as to choosing FM vs IM as a specialty. 

Thank you very much

FM accepts you with minimal to no electives. I had 1 wk of FM electives and received interviews at every school in Cda including UBC and U of T ( which are apparently more competitive).  So maybe 2-3 electives would be more than enough to match to FM. I also had research in a different field - not sure if that was helpful or an impediment to my FM applications! However, it all worked out and I got FM interview in every Cdn FM program.  The nice thing about knowing that you want to do FM is that you can relax during clerkship, because it is not competitive to match to FM wherever you prefer.