Premed 101 Forums

Rock The DAT

Guest RockTheDAT

Guest Adversary

Well, that sounds like a marketing gimmick. However, I do know one of the people involved and he's a great person (use to answer a lot of questions on this forum). If you want more credibility, I'll throw in my support for them. These are DENTAL students teaching you so they do know a thing or two about the DAT.

NOTE: I have absolutely nothing to do with ROCKTHEDAT. I am a UBC Dental student and if you look at their contact, it's located in Edmonton so no connection between us other than that I know one of the tutors.

Guest 2th Doctor

I took this course in November 2004. Wrote the DAT once. Got 28 on my carving. I thought they new what they were doing.

They used to be in Alberta only, but looks like they are going national this year (based on their website).

Guest omizu

If you think good grades alone will get you into dental school you are wrong. Just look at the UWO thread and note how many people with high GPAs didn't even get interviews because their DAT scores weren't adequate.

Guest johnwoo19

You still have a chance of acceptance if you have a high GPA and mediocre DAT scores. However, the same does not apply for the reverse: stellar DAT scores and @#%$ GPA will get you nowhere.

Guest johnwoo19

Hey Dent08, my DAT scores are in the low 20s, definitely not stellar, but not mediocre either. I just feel that the slogan downplays the importance of a high GPA and exaggerates the necessity for crazy high DAT scores. Just my 2 cents.

Guest Dent08

They're selling a service that focuses on the DAT portion of dental school applications. Of course their are going to stongly emphsize it's importance.

Where do they say anything about "crazy high DAT scores"? Does the term "rocking the dat" mean 30's across the board? I don't think so.

U of A and several other schools across Canada immediatly put your application in the trash if you don' meet the minimal requirements on the DAT. Doesn't matter if you have a 4.0. In this case your GPA actually does mean nothing without the DAT marks. Yes ... same thing goes if you have a low GPA and high DAT marks, but their course isn't called "rock your GPA".

What applicant wouldn't want the highest DAT scores possible?

Finally: They're dental students sharing their DAT knowledge with other students so they can throw a little $$ in their grad fund. Why give them grief over semantics.

:)

Guest RockTheDAT

Hi again Everyone!

It's nice to see my post generating so much discussion. I wanted to get our website out there and didn't mean for anything past that.

On a different note, congrats to Johnwoo19 for getting into Dentistry Class of 2010 at UBC! (Dissectors forum)

We're going to be a small brotherhood (sisterhood too!) of professionals so I look forward to running everyone either at IDSC conferences, or somewhere down the road in our career path!

I'm super pumped!

Have an awesome night and good lukc on your exams everyone.

DAT-Trainer@hotmail.com

Guest sensodyne

For those in BC, specifically in the lower mainland, I'd look into "rock the dat" program. I took the carving and PAT portions of the Dat Tutor program at UBC last summer. It was helpful, but it could have also been better. The main instructor was a Chinese (nothing against Chinese or Asians...I'm Asian as a matter of fact) and his accent was too strong that I couldn't understand him sometimes. He was also in his 40s and I would rather have had someone who was younger...a dental student!

Then again, the "rock the dat" program seems cheaper, but shorter than the dat tutor program. I'd look into both for those who will be taking the DAT (again) in the near future. Last of all, I would definitely not have done as well on the PAT or Carving section w/o some outside help...and couldn't stop laughing when I saw people cutting themselves during the exam.

Guest Adversary

If anyone in BC is interested, you can ask my classmates for help. There are 3 people who scored 28/30 on the carving section.

I am sure some of my classmates would like to help. Plus, making any amount of money is good when the cost of 1 year is $45,000.

I, however, will not be tutoring.

Guest sensodyne

I edited my earlier post. The Rock the Dat program is cheaper than the Dat Tutor program, but the former seems to be shorter.

If i were to do the DAT all over again, I'd either get one-on-one tutoring from one of Adversary's friends or take the "rock the dat" course. Starving dent students are cheaper and more motivated than people who do it for a living (i.e. DAT tutor's main instructor was a part-time dentist).

Guest smooth operater

hey, sensodyne. I took DAT THE TUTOR for carving and PAT section last summer. I ended up getting 20 on my PAT but 5 on my carving :( . So I figure carving is the part that I need to work on this summer for the upcoming exam. I think I am a bit slow at learning carving. How was your expeience with Rock the DAT tutor with carving section? Thanks!

Guest Bigheadbebe

Hi all:

Watch out for Rock the Tutor's marketing scheme. They intentional use several account to bad mouth the DAT Tutor, which have prepare students into dental schools.

Last year, at least 10 students in UBC got in through DAT Tutor help.

Rock the Tutor's former history is the very dismal Canadian Dental Test Prep which have fallen apart because of Kaplan and local dental student group, like the DAT Tutor.

Rock the Tutor simply hire some innocent dental students to do the job for them. They are even selling the IQ Publications booklet which when you look at their editorial inside those booklets it says they are connected to the fallen test prep thing.

Watch out for public company who want your money and say thing to attract you to their business!!!

Guest Dent08

BigHeadBebe:

Spreading lies about the RockTheDAT program is a horrible approach. Please visit the following link where I have corrected your bullshiit with the correct facts.

p090.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=469.topic

Is this the level of maturity that one can expect from the DAT tutor program? You are the ones that are supposed to be teaching a program and you can't even get your facts straight !?!?!

Your posts are going to do a great job convincing people not to take your program. I knew that UBC has a bad rep for screwing its applicants over with their huge non-refundable deposit. However ... I always assumed the UBC students were well educated intelligent people. After your post, i'm beginning to wonder. You're a horrible represetative for your school.

Guest Bigheadbebe

Now, you are badmouthing UBC student. What's your intention here?

I think you should learn some ethics before using different accounts of same identity to badmouth people. I havn't visited this forum for nearly a year... Surprisingly when I opened this forum again, I see a list of badmouthing of the DAT Tutor group, which I knew they did a great job in the past several year.

Why do you need to badmouth the other group? Perhaps your real history is really questionable. Wonder who is really behind your website?

I am sure you will find another identity to answer the question.

Guest Dent08

Don't even think of bringing up ethics after your posts. Everything you said was a lie. I wasn't bashing UBC students. I was bashing you.

You've backed yourself into a corner. Just give it up. Please. Nobody wants to read your garbage.

Guest sensodyne

hey, I'm one of those students that took the DAT Tutor program last year and got into UBC this year. I am definitely not one of those people that you suggest are using several accounts.

I got in, but managed to do that with only average DAT scores. I took the PAT and carving portions and got 18 and 15, respectively. I got over 20 on the other sections that I studied on my own.

What makes me question the DAT tutor group is that there's only one guy running it and he's supposedly a part-time dentist. Wouldn't he make more money by just working as a dentist? He didn't do a very good job teaching the PAT either. I could barely understand what the heck he was saying.

I also found flyers posted around ubc for interview help. Guess who was the interviewer for the mock interview? The same "part-time dentist".

However, I really don't know much about the DAt Trainer group other than what's on their website and what they've told me.

Guest Dent08

sensodyne: You are being fair with your criticims. UBC should take your feedback and use it to improve their program rather than blasting rockthedat.com.

You've reassured me that not all UBC students are like Bebe. Thankyou.

Guest Bigheadbebe

Nice try, Dent08, 3min apart is too short a timeframe to use another identity to say thing.

Anyway, I am tired of your defense as you can find all your troop to make statement.

Just watch out everyone. Fundraising is a joke!!!

Guest Dent08

HAHAHAHAHA!

Are you freakin' crazy? Wow. I'm not even one of the students running rockthedat.com this year.

Yea ... I planned this all in advance and registered with multiple screen names 2 years ago just so I could bash UBC. You need to go splash some cold water on your face and wake up.

Archived