Premed 101 Forums

non-traditional resources?

Hi all, 

I am wondering if anyone knows of any groups, resources, etc. that are available and targeted to non-trad med students besides this forum? I am thinking podcasts, blogs, facebook groups, youtube, etc. 

I have been a lurker here for years and my anxieties about going to med school as an 'older' student has really prevented me from committing to writing the MCAT and submitting my application. I have a strong GPA and work experience as well as an interest in rural, emergency, and addictions medicine, however I am worried about the impacts of a career change at age 30 on my experience of motherhood, compromising with a partner, and already owning a home and having roots in a specific location (for context, I am 28, engaged, and own a home in the Fraser Valley, BC). 

Does anyone know of any resources that speaks to some of these concerns?

• 2 weeks later...

Im not sure if there are any specific resources, but a simple search on YouTube will result in a lot of stories. Your story is unique however, and honestly I don't know if you will find better information then just talking to other non-trad on this forum

Im a non-trad, 2 kids, moved from BC to Alberta and currently in 2nd year. Also, older than you. Feel free to DM me and I can chat to you about my experiences and some of my classmates.

• 4 weeks later...

Medical school shouldn't be an issue. CaRMs is where it could get harder in your situation (location restricted), but even then, in most cases it works out fine and all the people I know who were married/had kids have made it work. Some compromises and flexibility will be required.

I would not delay writing your MCAT. Study and do well on it. Get it out of the way.