Premed 101 Forums

Challenge Exam Physio

Guest dho

Anyone apply to western and ever challenge the physiology exam? I am thinking about doing this as I am not able to get into the class and it is a pre req for WESTERN dentistry. Just wanted to know if anyone else was out there like me or anyone that had suggestions.

Guest shesallDAT

Yeah, I'm going to challenge it too. I've taken one semester of first year physiology, so hopefully that will give me a good basis. Unfortunately, Western wants two 300-level classes from my school which I can't get into this late in the game either. The exam can't be too hard, right? :rolleyes

Hey MacStudent! I was wondering how difficult the exam was? It seems like without any notes and not a clear focus on what will be tested the exam is going to be pretty hard. Or like you said ..... start studying now.

Guest MacStudent

The exam is as difficult as it needs to be...sorta cryptic I know, but it's no different than any other purely multiple choice exam you've written before. You need to obtain 70% on the exam for a pass. (BTW, it is prepared by the physiology department at Western)

It contains two parts:

1) Pick the correct answer

2) Pick the incorrect answer

Like I said, study hard!

As for what you will be tested on, know THIS material like the back of your hand!!!!

The material is based on content from Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach (2nd Edition) and Human Physiology -- though I found the latter to adhere to the handout better.

Let me repeat this one more time:

START STUDYING NOW!!! Set aside a few hours every other day to study and quiz yourself.

It's not that difficult...unless you leave it until the final month or so.

Guest Adversary

I am not sure if everyone had this situation, but I do know some people had to write their physiology challenge exam on the same day as their interview. However, these people were OOP so not sure if the same applies to in-prov. Either way, I suggest you don't wait till the last minute because you do want ample time to prepare for your dental interview.

• 3 months later...
Guest sensodyne

Has anyone studied for this challenge exam using the "Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach (2nd Edition)"?

I"m using this book right now and am finding that it goes into a lot of detail...more than the outline of the exam. However, it sometimes misses points as well. I know that the other book by Vander is the one used for the course which is the basis for the exam. However, I don't have that copy and even if I order it today, I won't get it before the exam. I'm paranoid that by using this book and not the other, I will either miss details or read stuff that won't be tested.

So, has anyone written the exam having used the Integrated book and if so, did you find it appropriate for the exam?

Guest shesallDAT

I'm using the other (Vander) book now... You should check to see if a copy is in your university or city library...that's where I got mine (I'm not paying out for yet another textbook! :hat )

Guest sensodyne

were you the one who took it out of the woodward library? ;) I think I remember your saying that you are from BC. I've ordered a new one from Chapters, but that's not suppose to arrive until AFTER the exam. I think I might order a second-hand copy, which would arrive about 2 weeks before it. In the meantime, I'll just study from my "Integrated" text.

Guest shesallDAT

Not me! Still waiting...

How's everyone's studying going? I'm wondering if I'll be able to finish all the reading in time for the exam let alone memorize all the details... :rolleyes

Guest sensodyne

no, i haven't heard about the exam either and seeing as I still ahven't booked my flight, I hope they tell me soon. It said on their website that we're suppose to write it on the day of our interview. So if that's still the case, I guess they'll have to schedule 2 sittings b/c most likely there will be people who need to write the exam being interviewed both sat and sun.

i better get back to my reading. :(

Guest shesallDAT

I e-mailed them about it shortly after getting my invite and it's supposed to be the afternoon or evening of the 22nd...hope that helps! :\

Guest sensodyne

how are you finding the 6th edition shesalldat? I could only find a 5th edition, so I'm using that right now along w/ the other textbook, which is a current edition. I wonder how much info i'm missing out on by using a book from the early 90s.

Guest shesallDAT

Hmm...all I know is that last week I went to the SFU library and there were two copies of the 6th edition on the shelf right beside each other... Maybe somebody just took the other one out... :( On the plus side, I'm sure the 5th one is probably the same..and besides, how much can intro physiology change between editions? ;)

Guest sensodyne

oh i couldn't bother to go all the way to burnaby to get a 6th edition. instead, i went to the central library in downtown van. and yet, they keep coming up w/ new editions every couple years.

Guest shesallDAT

So....got the challenge exam e-mail...the night of the 21st or afternoon of the 22nd eh? I'll only be getting into town at 6pm on the 21st so I REALLY hope I won't have to change my flights. >: I thought they said it would be on interview weekend :x which is why I allotted the extra day...grr... So, vote for the 22nd, people!

Guest Gattuso19

I voted 22nd.

Are there any practice exams out there for the Physiology 130 course? Some kind of guidance would be appreciated.

Why are the odds for UWO so slim?!?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gonedental

This is my first time posting on ezboard although I have been following some threads for a while. I've just finished my BA in Psychology from TRU (I'm sure none of you know where that is). I've taken some biology and science-based psychology courses, but no formal physiology course. I want to apply to UWO next year, but because I don't have the physiology requirement, I will have to take the challenge exam. That is unless I go back to school--I'm planning to travel for a bit and then work full-time, so that's not really an option for me.

My plan is to study physiology on my own using one of those 2 books. I'm worried about the exam though.

How did people find the challenge exam this weekend? Was it tough? I don't have a midterm or a practice exam to base what the challenge exam will be like. It's not that I don't know my sciences...I just don't know what to expect.

I'd really appreciate it if those of you who took the exam this weekend could post some feedbacks. Thanks. :)

Guest shesallDAT

I thought the exam was very fair and anyone who put in the study time should have passed. I studied a month, but I had already taken a similar physiology course before (which didn't meet Western's requirement)...so if you have NO physiology background I'd recommend studying part-time throughout a semester (ie, 3 or 4 months). I used the Vander book to prepare, plus some notes from my previous class. A week before the exam they also e-mailed us to say that MediaPhys was a good source of practice questions. I believe this CD can be purchased through the bookstore at UWO, but I just downloaded a copy off the net. Also, an older version of the CD was available in its entirety off the publisher's website (think it was McGraw-Hill). It turns out several questions on the exam were the same/similar to the ones on the CD, so DEFINITELY review this before writing. Hope that helped...

Guest gonedental

where did you download that cd off the net? bitcomet? limewire? thanks for your advice. I will surely have to study well ahead of time on my own.

Archived