Premed 101 Forums

Dalhousie GPA Calculation

Guest DDStobe

Guest DDStobe

Does anyone know how Dal calculates your GPA in determining final admission? I heard it was your last 10 full credits plus biochem, physiology, and microbio, then they just average these to get your GPA?? Can anyone confirm this? I emailed Jo-anne at Dal but got no reply. Thanks!!

Guest chicken pot pie

Hey...your GPA is divided into your last 65ch I believe (ie. your last two years of school) and the major pre-reqs (ie. biochem, physiology, and microbiology). They find your GPA in these two 'categories' and these 'cateogries' make up the portion that counts towards your GPA. For the last little while, the average GPA in both categories has been an A-...hope this answers your question!

Guest wishywish82

My impression is biochem/micro/phys is weighted atleast as much, if not more than your last 2 yrs. You have got to take biochem/micro/phys in your first yr of dentistry anyway.

I'd average the last 10 credits with the higher sciences

Guest DDStobe

Thanks for the replies, does anyone know for DAT scores, if one section is weighted more than others? Or do they just look at the overall score? I have an 11 in carving and it is well below the average of 18. GPA is good, but I am worried about carving...damn soap!!

Bug2ooth, I would imagine you would need at least a 3.7 higher science/two year GPA. I know they only usually take 3 or 4 people from OOP and a few other seats are reserved for ppl from Maine from what I have heard.

Guest wishywish82

Nancy told me the soap wouldn't totally mess you up. If you got interviewed you stand a decent chance. I got an 8 on the carving in Nov, so I re-wrote in Feb and got a 16.

They average all 5 portions of the dat (RC, Sci, AA, PAT and carv) with the score usually around 18 and will take your best scores in each section from the past 2 yrs (this is what i was told in Jan).

the past few yrs it has been 17.8 tho this past yr it was 18.4. so i re-wrote in feb only as an insurance policy

Archived