Premed 101 Forums

English Composition Req. for US schools

Guest tamkhan1

Guest tamkhan1

so whats the deal with this? do we need an actual English course at the university level, or could we substitute it with any course (say, anthropology, sociology etc) that practically has plenty of english composition.

i know some unis will allow you to use grade 13 oac english, though. but most of them, i think, need college or university level credit in english.

Tonick, since uve applied to US schools, maybe you can provide some info on this.

Guest Tonick

After painstakingly figuring out the English requirements on my own through separate websites and many MANY long distance phone calls, I got the info I needed. So I'll save you guys some trouble, here's a list of schools I applied to that accept OAC English (or don't require English at all) as of this past application cycle:

NYU

Columbia

U of Buffalo

Boston U

Tufts

Harvard

U of Pittsburgh

Temple

Detroit Mercy

Case Western

There may be others, but these are the ones that explicitly told me they accept OAC English. This stuff is always subject to change though so you may want to double check.

Guest tamkhan1

hmm..thanks for the info, man!

i think ill call up those places and see if i can substitute english with some other humanities course :P

Guest Aplusdent

I doubt it....most want you to have at least one semester (if not two) of english comp. PLUS humanities/social science courses.... they're looking for students with broader backgrounds, not just the sciences.

Archived