Premed 101 Forums

American schools

Guest toothy1985

Guest toothy1985

hey all, I was wondering if I were to apply to american schools this summer, do you think I could somehow mention in my application that i will be re-writing the DAT in November... do you think it wud be tooooo late for them to receivethe scores in JAn 2006.?

Guest Tonick

Honestly, for U.S Schools just apply early. It really is astonishing how important that is, because you have some people with 2.9 GPAs and 18s on their DATs get into decent U.S schools just by applying early!!!! Send your present DAT scores if they are above 18 in all categories and don't sweat it too much. When you do rewrite it, forward updated scores to the schools, you may even have an acceptance by then! :)

Guest tamkhan1

naw, man. i only applied to uwo, which was also so out of the blue:b

but im def. applying to US schools this year; a whole bunch of them.

Guest Emily44

Can you write the American DAT in Canada? Also, when can you write the American DAT? Do they have certain test periods like the Canadian DAT?

Guest Tonick

NYU, Columbia, Harvard, Penn, CASE, Buffalo, UDM,

U of Michigan, Tufts, Boston U, ALL TAKE CDN DATs. I'm pretty sure most major California ones do too. Unless you wanna go to school in Texas or something don't bother doing the U.S DAT.

Guest toothy1985

thanks a lot all for your help. I just realized that my PATwas a 13, which is absolutely unacceptable, so I am planning to write the NOV DAT and I have to mention that somewhere in the AADSAS application. So my scores will be late to them. But, I will apply asap with the scores that I have.

Secondly, in terms of letters of references, US schools dont consider psyc a life science or science, because I wanted to get LORS from my psyc profs. WHat should i do?

Guest Aplusdent

Well what about all the pre-req classes you did? Get one from your biochem/chm/anat/phys/bio/orgo prof...plenty of choices...you had to have known some of them....some of those are upper level courses, therefore the class size would be smaller and you could get to know the prof.

Guest tamkhan1

just grab any A- or A grade course and get a reference. every uni has certain profs that will give you a lor if uve done well in their course. grab ure transcripts, go to the prof and explain ure situation. tell him what ure future plans are and let him what u want.

but, bear in mind; NO reference is better than an OK reference. and yes, thats an OK, not BAD, reference. theres no point in sending lors that wont reflect who you are. you might as well not send any, then.

and btw, im having the same problem, at uoft. i abosultely do not know any prof. so im working my ass of for 2 or 3 courses, trying to score 90's, so i can atleast get a reference.

another pointer; shadow some dentist. US schools always allow you to send non academic lors. im shadowing one right now; hes a uoft graduate and i certainly plan to get a lor from him.

so you have options. i know its a pain, getting lors when you dont personally know any prof. shucks, should have done a summer research course :b

Guest toothy1985

Hey tamkhan1,

thanks for all your help man. Its really nice of you. I think thats what I am going to do.

Anyways, I am sending you a private message, check yourmailbox.

Guest Tonick

To add to all that, make sure you are aware of each school's preferences for LORs. Most schools require 2 letters from science profs, and one or two from dentists. I actually had 1 science, 1 humanities and 2 dentists write me letters, and even though I got interviews at some good schools, it may have hurt my chances at some of the more "anal" ones that want 2 sci prof letters.

Hope that helps!

Guest Tonick

Well I applied to a lot of the Northeast ones, but I apparently applied late, got my apps in in November when they recommend u get them in around May or June. So that's what hurt me most. I got interviewed and waitlisted at Columbia, and interviewed and accepted at NYU. NYU's a good school, lots of clinical work, so that's where I'm headed if no CDN school takes me. So please do yourself a favour and APPLY EARLY!!! ;)

Guest tamkhan1

true, man. apps for US schools shud def me sent out my may-june. i dont know how many times people have stressed that point.

waitlisted for columbia; thts awesome, man! great achievement! yeah, ive heard NYU is a great school, pretty expensive, though:b

good luck!

Guest kellyl20

NYU: You might want to rethink that one in terms of how many students in the class and so how much clinicals you think you realistically would get. People who graduated from there said that there is not enough patients to go around. Rent in NY is very very expensive. But, having said all that, you will be a dentist if you go there.

Guest Tonick

I'm aware of all the above Kelly but thanks for the input anyways. I was impressed with the school and the high tech new clinics and sim labs, and the students I talked to said that the new clinics allow for more patients to come in and that they have a lot of clinical work on their plate in years 2, 3 and 4. In terms of its size, yes it's huge, but the patient pool is also huge. Rent's extremely expensive, I'll agree with you on that, a studio runs at around $1500 USD a month! Then again you're living in the heart of the greatest city in the world. :D

Guest Tonick

Oh and Tamkhan thanks for all the good wishes! If you're entertaining the idea of applying to the states do it! It's an eye opening experience and it's great to meet fellow interviewees from allover the states and Canada who share the same career goals as you. Good luck in your dental pursuit my friend!

Guest kellyl20

NY is a great city to live in for awhile. Instead of studio, you can probably find something to share as it is not uncommon for people to subdivide their big apartments with temp dry walls which looked just like a regular wall, except that they are not permanent. THis will be cheaper than a studio. Try the apartments near the water, and I think they are called something like Water Plaza apartments, close to NYU. Well, a person that graduated last year from there tells me that he did not have enough patients throughout his time there, too many students and not enough patients.

He is doing ok though as he is now back here practicing with his dad so his dad is teaching him whatever he is lacking.

BTW, food is quite expensive there too. But what an experience to live there for a short time.

Archived