Premed 101 Forums

Personal letter review

No. You want your Letter to be 1 page or 1 page plus a paragraph, to catch the attention of the reader in the first paragraph, to integrate your life experiences that developed your situational awareness, multi-tasking skills, manual dexterity skills (if applicable), collaboration, discipline, attention to detail, precision and the ability to maintain your focus under pressure, you want to let the reader know that you thrive having many balls in the air, juggling your responsibilities efficiently, that you have a strong work ethic with a high standard of achievement. And importantly, why this school, link its opportunities to your learning and development, etc.

What field? 

Thank you for your response. I am applying for internal medicine. Sorry, should have asked the question in a more clear way but I was wondering after I have written my personal letters, who do you recommend I show the letters to for feedback (ex/ residents, attendings, etc)? Some of my classmates have hired companies to provide feedback, is this something that is common or necessary?

3 hours ago, Lilyflowers said:

Thank you for your response. I am applying for internal medicine. Sorry, should have asked the question in a more clear way but I was wondering after I have written my personal letters, who do you recommend I show the letters to for feedback (ex/ residents, attendings, etc)? Some of my classmates have hired companies to provide feedback, is this something that is common or necessary?

You're welcome to ask anyone you're close to to help you review it. I wouldn't ask residents or attending you don't otherwise have a personal conection. Friends/family are fine. If you really have no-one else you can hire a company but these companies don't have any particular insider knowledge that would make them preferable to a colleague.

Most medical schools also have a service available through their guidance counselling centre that will provide CaRMS review for free to medical students. It isn't perfect, but does give you an extra set of unbiased eyes (i.e. you don't want friends/family who just tell you everything is perfect and edit a few commas here and there). I don't think its ever necessary to pay anyone to review these. The feedback is not any more valuable than you'd receive otherwise.