Premed 101 Forums

SCORES ARE OUT.. I GOT MINE

Guest toothy1985

You realise that if you have completed a 4 year degree 1 year of your gpa is dropped right? my gpa goes from 3.73 to 3.83, once they drop my lowested year

Edit:

Ok i am not 100% sure of this now. cant find it on their site. I swear someone told me about this...can anyone confirm?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From, Toronto Dentistry's 2005-2006 Calendar....

*The worst academic year will be dropped from the calculation of an applicant's cumulative grade point average provided that (a) the applicant has completed four or more years of university education by May 31st of the proposed year of entry, and (B) the year with the lowest grades is not the applicant's most recently completed year of study.

heh, both clauses work for me since I am already graduated and lowest year wasnt the last.

Ok also I like to point out that last year people with 3.6+ were invited..and thus 200 of the possible 450 were given interviews. So dude, with your 3.73 (possible higher if you drop a year) you will get an interview. You might just have to have an above average interview to get in.

The splits for Toronto are

GPA: 60

DAT: 10

Interview: 30

The splits for western are:

GPA: 60

DAT: 15

Interview 25

Guest Meddream

Do you know how they evaluate your DAT score? Is there a difference between a person who got 20 on a section and a person who got 21?

Also, for UOfT calculation: I'm in my 4th year so by May I'll be graduated, does UOfT look at my marks of last year (4th yr)? or do they look at my first 3 years of study? and if they look at the 3 year do they take year 1 and 2 of it is the 3rd year that I have the lowest GPA?

Thanks

Meddream: The answers to both your questions are answered in qw1222's posts just above yours. !?!?!

Did you even read the thread? Have you been drinking too much eggnog? Wake up bud.

Guest Meddream

Drinking, yes I've been doing too much..

but I still don't understand how they rank the DAT marks...

and I still dunno whether they will take into account my 4th yr marks if I'm doing ti right now..

I don't think he answered those two que., but again I could be drunk right now!

MedDream has a point because u of t offers acceptance in April not May. so do they still drop a year (even if you have not completed your 4th year ?)? i dont know how it works meddream....

As for 20 versus 21, i doubt there is a difference.

if you have awesome 3 year marks, dont worry about your 4th year marks...just pass! That I know for sure heh. My friend got accepted in early april (before he finished 4th year). He didnt even study for the exams

If the calendar says: "... applicant has completed four or more years of university education by May 31st of the proposed year of entry" and Meddream says he will be completed his 4th year by the end of May, then he can expect the worst of years 1-3 to be dropped. Correct?

um...the problem with this is u of t accepts in APRIL before your 4th year marks!!! I dont know how it works. To be fair, I believe they will drop your lowest year (1-3). So for those getting the acceptance then only 2 years will count, and your 4th year wont. Too bad, if you have a kick ass 4th year mark

Yea. There seems to be a conflict of info on their site. It says they consider all grades before May 31, but send out their acceptace letters mid-April.

Either way, I'd give my best till the end rather than being lazy and getting @#%$ grades. You never know, that could come back to haunt you in the future.

Guest Meddream

uh, that sucks since I don't think I did that well on my exams this semester..I hope they don't consider it!

What about Western? Am I suppossed to sent them my transcript after marks of this semster becomes available?

Dent08, I guess I wasn't that drunk eh?

Guest wishywish82

Finally got my scores:

Bio 20

Chem 21

Reading 20

Perception 16

Carving 8 :(

Undergrad avg: 3.8

Grad avg: 3.9

I wish I would of done better on the carving, it really sucks b/c it's a major strike against me.

I've only applied to Dal thus far, tho now my options are limited. What do you guys think??

Guest power2005

My cousin got into Dal after just 3 year undergrad and she had a 10 on her carving. Mind you her gpa was probably 4.0...her average was always 90+, and her DAT bio was 29 and chem 27. Don't know what her percep and reading scores were. And she is a very personable person and probably did excellent on her interview. Not to mention she had great reference letters.

She had it all! lol Except the carving. If only I could follow in her footsteps....

But just goes to show that doing poor on the carving does not kill your chances, you just have to make up for it in other areas.

Guest qw1222

i don’t know what the criterion for DAL is but with your high gpa you should have applied to toronto. even western you have a good shot even though your DAT score of 85 is cutting close to last years official western DAT cutoff of 85.

but like you said, your options are pretty must limited now. most deadlines are passed...

if you plan on applying to TOP states schools, you might have to consider redoing the DAT. b/c your 16 on perception is only average.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

Audio as long as you don't come off as a douchebag and act like you have some class yes you will get into U of T. That is not rare at all, I know people with lower scores that get in and higher scores that do not it happens quite often too. It's all about how you can make a good first impression and that you're cool to your interviewers. Apparently the ppl who interview you don't know your scores or background (closed file interview) just know you got one. Just act the role and you will get the part. Trust me.

I don't know and don't care abotu the other canadian schools, I can tell you though with ur scores you can get into the top american schools too. If you are good looking and rich you're a shoe in. Even if you are either one, you are a shoe in lol....if you are neither you will still get in.

qw1222 ppl like you make me sick...blah blah i got over 20 and i wish i did better. Guess what, even if you get in, the guy next to you who gets a much lower score than you on the DAT is your equal lol. There is no perfect score. Anyone who does decently well and has decent grades has the same chance as someone who performs well with flying colours. It is the interview that determines if you get in at this stage. I know of people with 4.0 and high dat scores that did not get into dental school. You probably will get in but may be you shouldn't come off as such a try hard and make people who didn't do as well as you feel so bad.

Guest wishywish82

I talked to a woman at Dal dent today, she said my 8 in carving won't totally sink my boat, since the entire DAT is only worth 10-15% of the overall admissions criteria.

She also mentioned Dal considered the Feb writing too and that if I wanted to I could write in Feb and they would mix and match the best of the 2 tests.

What would you guys do??

Guest qw1222

I dont know what you are talking about... but in western and toronto GPA matters most. if both schools count GPA to be 60-65% of the total overall mark, and interview only 25%. then a person with a low gpa already has a tremedous disadvantage. These are the facts. Sure there are exceptions to this, eg. a @#%$ interview could spell doom for even the most academically proven candidate. But the truth of the matter is, an low GPA candidate (3.6-3.7) will always be in a 0-2 hole when he/she comes up to bat.

Guest qw1222

I would do it BECAUSE you really have nothing to lose. If you new marks are @#%$ just don’t show them your new DAT scores. Remember they release your scores only if asked.

On the aside: I think next year if you apply to other Canadian schools you will get in with your high gpa, but your DAT scores in PA and carving will always haunt you. Especially if you decide to apply to a GOOD school in the states.

TheChosenOneDds: yes current DAT + GPA you probably get in SOME American school eg. @#%$ State schools. But if you are going to spend 40K US might has well spend in by going to a decent school. That’s why I recommended wishywish to take the DATs again, and try to get higher in the PA. Most decent schools in US require you to get 19+ in PA.

Guest uoft2005

the offical cutoff was not 85.. I dunno where people are getting this average from.. If the cut off was indeed 85 that means everyone who got accepted have above 85 which is obviously not true since the class ranges from 80-high 90s.

Qw, u must have misread it b/c i believe it was around 84 which was the AVERAGE of the accepted applicants, not the CUTOFF...

thx.

Guest qw1222

www.schulich.uwo.ca/Dentistry/faq.html

What are the minimum DAT scores?

In the past, a cumulative score of 85/150 over the 5 sections of the test (Reading Comprehension, Biology, Chemistry, Perception and Carving Dexterity – each section being marked out of 30) has been considered competitive. (Science Total and Average are not utilized in the application process.) This minimum score is subject to change depending on the quality of the applicant pool.

Minimum = cutoff? sounds sure like it :-)

But still I think if you have a 3.9-4.0 and a 80 DAT score, lol i think you still get that interview. so you are right, sorry about that.

I will like to add that competition this year will be much higher, thanks to the double cohort applying.

Archived