Premed 101 Forums

SCORES ARE OUT.. I GOT MINE

Guest toothy1985

Guest uoft2005

U were referring to the DAT total of 85 ..

I thought you meant GPA average of 85 and I was like wtf is this guy talking about.. lol

My bad bro..

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest wishywish82

Here's what the Assistant Dean of Dal Dent sent me:

We take an average of 5 parts of the DAT - the Science av., the Academic av., the PAT, Carving and Reading Comprehension sections. The average of all 5 sections together is usually around 18.

We will take the best components regardless of the number of attempts within a 2 year period.

The average for 2004 was 17.6 and I got a 17, it's only worth 10% so I dunno, does this help my case any??

Guest qw1222

if you are shooting for this year, i probably wont bother doing it. But if you tend to apply again next year (perhaps more schools?) you might consider doing it..

On that note: you might regret it if you are like the last guy on the waiting list who didnt get in lol. but you have to balance out the pain to write the DAT and the remote possiblility of being the last guy...i am sure you will ace your interview :-)

Plus your gpa is quite high. Does masters give you extra points at DAL?

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

QW, 3.7 and decent DAT scores will give u an interview you aren't 0-2. Trust me on this one. I can tell you for sure. As for American schools, 3.7 in Canada will prob bell you up to a 3.9 or higher esp if you have A+ which is worth 4.33 out of 4.0. You will get into a very decent/excellent school- IVy league school. I am speaking from my own experience and the experience of many friends of mine. I am currently in my fourth year of dental school. I have seen it all with regards to applications and acceptances and failures. Fortunately all the people who I know that applied to dentistry have gotten very positive results whether they apply to the US or Canada. Perhaps I was too hard on you. But yeah I couldn't find a nicer way to tell you that you are wrong lol...oops i did it again.

Guest wishywish82

yeah I hope they take my masters into consideration, considering I've taught lectures for dental hygeine pharmacology and turned down the opportunity to teach first yr dentistry pharm.

f**kin carving

Guest 2oothfairy

Hey wishywashy, can I ask where u are applying this year? I am completing my masters too and my dat scores are 17 in each category w a 15 in carving?

I'm very worried and dont know what to next year if i dont get an interview this year?

Guest wishywish82

I'm only applying to Dal, they have no carving minimum. I did well on the rest but messed up the carving.

I'm from NB so I'm considered in province @ Dal & am doing my master's there now.

I know I probably don't stand much of a chance getting in as an OOP elsewhere and can't apply to all the western schools b/c of the carving minimum.

Dal likes to see an overall DAT score of 18 from what I'm told and will take the better of the caterogies from the Nov and Feb DAT, so I guess this re-write is an insurance policy.

Guest 2oothfairy

I applied to Man, WEsten, U of T and UBC. i live in ontario, my avr is 84% so not that great? Im graduating this year from masters do u think i have a chance? WHats the cutoff for carving?

Guest wishywish82

you should be interviewed at least you've got decent DAT scores and a good gpa. I wish I had a good carving b/c then I'd be fine with the 20's in other areas.

manitoba has a special master's category. carving mins are usually 12-14ish.

I dunno about averages, Dal looks at your last 2 yrs of undergrad and the average GPA of your biochem/micro/phys.

my last 2 yrs of undergrad GPA avgs out to 3.7/4.3 which is the average dal accepts, and my biochem/micro/phys averages out to 4.1/4.3, the average dal accepts being 3.7

my current avg dat 17, dal acceptance avg 17.8

hoping mine will >18 if i bring up my 8/16 on carving/PAT

Guest power2005

Hey wishywish...Im applying to Dal this year too!

Last year my gpa was 3.97/4.3 and this year after first semester is is 4.24/4.3. And so far I have taken micro(twice....lol...once at uccb and this semester at st.fx) and biochem and i have a 4.3/4.3 in those. Oh and at st.fx the physiology component for dal dental is broken down into cell biology and vertebrate physiology and I got an 89 in cell....damn 1 point......so i guess thats a 4.2/4.3 for those 3 prereqs so far.

I am completing physics this semester as it is a 6 credit and I am also taking vertebrate physiology and the 2nd half of organic chem this semester.....I wish all the prereqs were completed so this semester could be a bit less stressful....

I haven't written the DAT yet...February 18th is looming......I'm worried about the carving and the reading. The carving I haven't practiced enough yet and I am a slow reader..... Bio should be good and perceptual ability isn't too bad. I have to go over the general chem stuff though.

Maybe we will be class of 2010 classmates....

Guest wishywish82

Power,

I wouldn't worry a ton about the DAT, your GPA is good and that's worth 60% vs the DAT's 10%.

I'm re-writing the DAT in Feb too just to try and bring up my carving score. They take an average DAT score of AA, PAT, carving, Sci Av and RC. Their average for the DAT is uaually around 18. And the nice thing about Dal is they take the best components of the DAT, so if you don't get in this yr re-write in Nov and replace your old scores.

Archived