Premed 101 Forums

Psychology degree

rola

Hey! I exclusively did a psychology degree at McGill and am currently on the waitlist #9! I know 1 person who did an undegrad in psychology at McGill and got into med there right after (last cycle) and 1 who got an interview this cycle (unsure if she got in)

Also to answer your question in the general QC forum, I have a 3.94/4.0 GPA with a 4th quartile Casper. I did a Bachelor of Arts in Honours Psychology at McGill and completed my prerequisites this past year, I got interview invites to all four Quebec universities - I think a psychology degree can render you a competitive applicant, but the weight given to your degree varies depending on which French university you are applying to (Laval, Sherb, UdeM) because of their calculation of your CRU so keep that in mind if you are also open to attending other QC universities :) 

Hey! I completed my B.Sc in psychology at UdeM and got accepted at McGill in the MDCM program this cycle! I had a 3.8XX/4.0 GPA and LOTS of experience in the field. I also got a 4th quartile Casper. I think as nicknacks said, the psychology degree is considered competitive for most universities, besides Ulaval in my opinion.. 

Hey! Thanks for answering my questions:))) Also, what do you mean by lots of experience in the field? 
I’m interested in going in B.Sc psychology and then applying in med. So Maybe some tips and tricks will help me better understand how to do it

14 minutes ago, rola said:

Hey! Thanks for answering my questions:))) Also, what do you mean by lots of experience in the field? 
I’m interested in going in B.Sc psychology and then applying in med. So Maybe some tips and tricks will help me better understand how to do it

McGill requires you to upload a CV with your research, volunteer and professional experiences along with any relevant extracurricular activities - although the CV is said to be worth 10% of your application it seems to weigh heavily on your chances of getting an interview. A "subpar" GPA does not disadvantage you as much at McGill if your CV (and likely Casper) is/are strong as compared to the French unis who exclusively rely on your grades and Casper when establishing their II invite list. You essentially should be focusing on "buffing" your CV during your undergrad to increase your odds of getting an interview post-grad (while also striving to maintain as high a GPA as is maintainable of course) and you can do so by involving yourself in research within the psychology department, volunteering, partaking in ECs that particularly interest you, maybe occupying a position in a hospital/clinic such as scribing, etc. :) Everyone's path is unique, do what you are passionate about and most importantly take on what you feel is manageable, you do not need to overdo it mental health first lol 

9 minutes ago, rola said:

Do you know by any chance if I will have to go in pre med at udem if I do a psychology bachelors or its med directly?

I don't think a psychology degree is considered "connexe" so I think you would have to do the pre med year, but you can contact their faculty directly via e-mail to get more information