Premed 101 Forums

Feedback from the PD- is this feedback good or bad?

If someone gets the following feedback from PD of one of the big IM programs - should they use the PD as a reference or not.

My fiance got feedback that she is a good fit for IM as she has excellent knowledge base, detail oriented, and hard working. And in terms of something she has to work on she was told to avoid answering all the questions posed to also give other the chance to contribute. Overall the PD gave her outstanding in eval. Should my fiance ask for reference letter or not?

She is very well known PD in the country.

That sounds like highly positive feedback if that's all that was provided, sort of gives me the feeling they were fishing for something to put in opportunities for growth. When I asked for reference letters in clerkship, I bluntly (but politely) asked if they could provide a strong reference letter, and the body language/tone of the response usually indicated the answer clearly.

1 hour ago, familymedkeen said:

If someone gets the following feedback from PD of one of the big IM programs - should they use the PD as a reference or not.

My fiance got feedback that she is a good fit for IM as she has excellent knowledge base, detail oriented, and hard working. And in terms of something she has to work on she was told to avoid answering all the questions posed to also give other the chance to contribute. Overall the PD gave her outstanding in eval. Should my fiance ask for reference letter or not?

It is good but I think I can see the PD's perspective.... it is polite to let others have a chance to answer. It is insufferable to have that one guy that rapidly answers everything. We get it... you're a keener. A team player gives other people a chance to shine too when appropriate. 

There's times where in my specialty area, I can answer many of the questions but only do a few... I speak up if other people don't want to or can't answer. 

Not everyone notices this type of mannerism but it really is a nice thing to do. 

- G 

1 hour ago, GH0ST said:

It is good but I think I can see the PD's perspective.... it is polite to let others have a chance to answer. It is insufferable to have that one guy that rapidly answers everything. We get it... you're a keener. A team player gives other people a chance to shine too when appropriate. 

There's times where in my specialty area, I can answer many of the questions but only do a few... I speak up if other people don't want to or can't answer. 

Not everyone notices this type of mannerism but it really is a nice thing to do. 

- G 

so should one ask for a reference letter or not.

12 hours ago, familymedkeen said:

Sometimes PD's in IM will only give reference letters to candidates for schools other than their own, because it would be like they are giving a reference letter to themselves (this isn't always the case but sometimes can be).

That being said if she got a good feeling that this PD will give her an outstanding reference letter, then for sure I would get them to give one for CARMS (and it would benefit for other programs given that the PD is well known).

A lot about asking for reference letters is "tone" and "vibe". In person and on rotation evaluations, a lot of faculty are afraid of saying negative things or giving harsh feedback for fear of repercussion. When getting feedback and asking for reference letters, it's important to listen and understand the underlying sense of how it's conveyed to determine if it's likely to be a very strong letter. Only your fiancé can really answer this question.

With regards to the actual words used, they sound fairly standard. Of course they are all very positive, but this is the case for 90%+ of reference letters. Nothing particularly stands out as amazing or a red flag to be honest.

7 minutes ago, robclem21 said:

A lot about asking for reference letters is "tone" and "vibe". In person and on rotation evaluations, a lot of faculty are afraid of saying negative things or giving harsh feedback for fear of repercussion. When getting feedback and asking for reference letters, it's important to listen and understand the underlying sense of how it's conveyed to determine if it's likely to be a very strong letter. Only your fiancé can really answer this question.

With regards to the actual words used, they sound fairly standard. Of course they are all very positive, but this is the case for 90%+ of reference letters. Nothing particularly stands out as amazing or a red flag to be honest.

What is considered amazing..

2 hours ago, familymedkeen said:

What is considered amazing..

Signs that they would write you an amazing letter include: asking you if you need a reference letter before you even ask them, telling you that you would be a great addition or great resident in their program, usually if they are asking residents/other faculty about you they are impressed, telling you that are you functioning way above your level of training.

To list a few things I have seen when reviewing CaRMS letters…

Things they put into good letters that they don’t usually tell you: this is one of the best medical students I have ever worked with, listing specific examples of things you have done that make you stand out, saying that you would be a strong addition to any residency program and that they are hoping you will join their program.