Premed 101 Forums

For anyone going into the MPT program at UBC (or has an interest in applying to UBC), I am a few years out of the program and am willing to answer any questions regarding working as a PT, the program itself, clinical placements, or anything else! I remember I had soo many questions going into the program. Now that I am out, would love to help anyone who has questions, feel free to shoot me a message!

I'm sure this has been answered on a different thread but I'm wondering how clinical placements work. Is it randomized? Do you get to have some say in where you go? Especially when you do your rural placement, do you get to request where you would like to be placed?

Follow up question, how easy is it to get housing in those rural placements?

• 3 weeks later...

You will give your top 5 choices for each of your 6 clinical placements. The system will then choose/pick for you based on your top five choices and which areas of practice you still need credit for (rural, private, public, rehab, chronic disease management, etc.). On average I would say about 2-3 students will go unmatched and then will be given options from remaining clinical placements (or can wait a bit longer as more become available).

Housing is usually not too difficult as you will know well in advance of your clinical placement.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 11:02 PM, PThopeful23 said:

For anyone going into the MPT program at UBC (or has an interest in applying to UBC), I am a few years out of the program and am willing to answer any questions regarding working as a PT, the program itself, clinical placements, or anything else! I remember I had soo many questions going into the program. Now that I am out, would love to help anyone who has questions, feel free to shoot me a message!

do you have any advice on as to how we can prep for school? perhaps stuyding anatomy etc? 

On 6/5/2022 at 7:56 PM, PT2022-- said:

do you have any advice on as to how we can prep for school? perhaps stuyding anatomy etc? 

Personally, I recommend enjoying your summer and not stressing about school. You will be grinding for 26 months so why start early lol. If anatomy is one of your weaker subjects, it may help to have a refresher but even then I honestly think just started at the beginning of the program and establishing good study habits will be fine. That was the tip my physiotherapist gave me as he graduated from UBC too, and it worked well.

Enjoy your summer! Don't touch any material because you will do a lot of that in the program ;)!