Premed 101 Forums

Some basic questions: demand, difficulty and success rate

Guest CASTLECASCADE

Guest CASTLECASCADE

Hello everyone..... :D

I am new to this forum. These question i'm gonna ask might be pretty basic.

1, I've heard that medicine and pharmacy professions are in high demand in Canada. And there won't be any trouble finding jobs once you graduate (from medschool or pharm school). Is it the same for dentistry? Is it easy to find stable jobs? I know dental care is not covered in OHIP (i live in ontario). Does that make the profession any less in demand? (what i need to know is a basic comparison among these three professions).

2, As opposed to medschool admission (which requires voluntary work, extracurriculars, essays etc), most dentistry schools (u of t, specifically) mainly look at the GPA and DAT only. Even then, is it so hard to get in to dentistry school?

I am in first year undergrad and hope to get close to 3.8 in first year (if i go like this). And since DAT is mainly science and then some perceptual ability (and if i go to prep. courses, read DAT books etc), can't i count myself on getting in to dentistry (if it is very hard to get in, i should be looking for some back up plans like pharmacy).

3, And specifically.....what is the percentage success rate of getting in to dentistry(how many apply and how many get in?)

HELP ME............. :(

I'm sure others can answer you questions better. I'll just make a few comments. Dentists make more money than doctors on average so as far as being in demand, they are!

Getting in to UofT is not easy and nothing is a sure thing. UofTs average is usually above a 3.8 on the OMSAS scale.

That being said, with a 3.8 and a good score on the DAT, it seems like you'd have to be really socially inept to not get in at at least one school. Don't mess up the interview.

I don't think there are many unemployed dentists. Stats show that the average age of dentists is quite high right now, meaning that there should be a bit of demand as they start to retire (supposed to start ~2010). Dentisty in major cities has been described as "cut-throat" and you need to be smart business wise to build a thriving practice. Finding good jobs is easier if you are willing to move to smaller towns.

Things could easily change in the next 5 years (which is the earliest you would graduate).

If you have a great GPA and DAT scores, you can assume that you will probably get an interview. You should have a back up plan in case things don't work out as you planned.

If you look at admission stats posted on Dental School websites, 4-6% of applicants who apply to dental school get in. As far as success rates go its probably similar to med.

Since you're not done first year and haven't written the DAT, you've got a ways to go.

Good luck.

Guest Adversary

On the topic of % of success, UBC Dentistry, a not well-known Dental school, has a success rate of at least 20%. Generally 250 students apply and 100 get interviews. Of the 100, 40 will be offered a spot, but of these 40, some will get offers from other schools and choose them so more than 40 students will be offered a spot.

At UWO, approximately 500 students applied last year for the 57 spots.

Those are the only two schools whose application success rate I know of.

success rate at utoronto.

500 apply, 200 interviewed, 100 accepted

success rate is 100/500 = 20%.

similar statistics for western...

P.S there are 69 spots for uoft, they send more acceptances because people choose other schools/proffessions

Archived