Premed 101 Forums

uwo dentistry admission..

Guest atom101

Guest atom101

what I want to know specifically is....only one of my year's GPA is above 3.7, should I apply this december or wait till I have 2 best years above 3.7??

how does it work?? (I mean... is it like UWO medicine where one of the years can be the current application year)

any input is greately appreciated.....

I think UWO looks at the best two years you've completed, and not your current year. Your current year will be looked at to see if you've completed any other prerequisites that they've requested. Since UWO calculates your % average, I think you should apply if it's above 80% at least. Check it out...maybe your year above 3.7 and your other year could be above the 80% average. If it's not, I don't know if you should apply this year or not. There was another post here that low 80's is needed to get an interview, but then again, that can change this year depending on the applicant pool. It's up to you whether you decide to apply or not. Since they take into account the DAT scores, how well do you think you did on the DAT? If you're confident with your performance on the DAT, maybe that will push your decision to apply.

Good luck though :)

I don't know if you need 2 years above 80 for an interview but Western certainly uses your current year in their final admissions decision. That's why they need your transcripts again in june.

i believe you need 2 years of GPA 3.7. The current year is calculated also. So for example if you are 3rd year. Your first was 3.7+, second year <3.7, you will still get a interview. You will only get accepted if you have 2 years of 3.7 (So you better get 3.7+ in your 3rd year).

Oh by the way, they probably have a minimum cutoffs for DATs. I probably think: 17-18 for each section?

calculated, FOR UofT marks:

4.0 90+

3.9 85-90

3.7 80-85

3.3 75-79

3.0 70-74

If you have 2 years of 3.7+, then you probably dont need to get a high mark for your 3rd year...as long as your 2 years kick ass. You probably have to pass the courses though.

I called them and the lady said that there is no cutoff for any section..INCLUDING the carving section. However, she said that you would need above an 85/150 cumulative on the DAT. This was news to me because I heard there used to be a minimum score for carving of 16 and apparently they were going to drop it to 12 this year. I was surprised to hear that you can get anything on carving.

SHe did say, however, in years that are competitive, the only section that may have a cutoff would be the reading section.

Guest bebostyle

do you guys know if they take your average and work it out to whatever it is on the omsas scale, so say you have an 88% avg then that's a 3.9, same thing for someone who has an 85% average, (I'd think that would be sorta stupid !)

or do they calculate the gpa of each course then come out with your gpa? I know their site says they use your % average but I am not quite sure on this

This is for Western that I am asking about !

I dunno. I go to UofT so we get both percentages and letter grades. So I know for us they'd take the average of all of our courses. I dunno how they deal with schools that don't give any percentage grades. Call them. The people at the office seem nice.

Guest iknowabc123

my university transcript only shows a letter grade...how does uoft translate that into a GPA score?...when i called uoft awhile back they said for example if they see a letter grade of "A" they automatically convert it into a gpa of 3.8...maybe you can help confirming this for me.

Guest wishywish82

I've got 1 yr of a 4.0 and 1 yr of a 3.9 but I'm not from Ont and don't have a clue about my DAT scores what do you think my chances are for UT and UWO??

Archived