Premed 101 Forums

Not sure where to apply (low GPA)

Guest DDStobe

Guest DDStobe

Hi,

I have a low overall GPA (3.22) and have a degree from Dalhousie. But my 3rd and 4th year GPA's were 3.85 and 3.69. Do I have any chance at Dalhousie,Western, or UofT? I am not sure if I should bother applying to the Ontario schools. My DAT was 21-Chem, 19-Bio, 21-RC, 15-PAT, 4-Carving:( I am rewriting in February. Any advice on where I should apply? Right now I am just taking more courses this year as a non-degree student. I really don't know what to do!

Guest gettingin

I know that Toronto admissions is based heavily on your marks....so without a stellar GPA I don't know how great your chances are.

What happened with your carving? Did you break your chalk, not finish, etc.??? Or can you get that low of a mark just on bad angles/sides?

Good Luck

I wouldnt waste my money applyin to UofT especially as an OOP. U might want to give Western and UBC a definate try though, ur not out of range as they look at your 2 best years... your carving mark is pretty low though which doesnt matter for western. Why r u re-writing in feb???? its too late, u shouldve written the one in november!

it doesnt hurt to apply, u might get in...

Guest DDStobe

Thanks for the quick replies. I didn't spend much time on the carving section because I was told it was the least important section. I also applied to schools in the states in the summer and was told that carving score is not looked at. But now I have no interviews from the 6 schools I applied to, and my only hope it seems is Dalhousie. I know they don't choose their class till May/June and by rewriting the DAT hopefully it will improve my chances there. Does anyone know anyone who has got in to Dalhousie with a low GPA like mine?

Guest Adversary

UBC would have given you a shot had you done better on your perception and carving scores. I don't know who told you that caring is the least important because in some schools, it's one of the biggest factors. UBC looks mainly at your perception and carving scores in conjunction with your GPA. Western takes your best 2 FULL-COURSE LOAD years, but they are quite competive with an interview cut-off of 84%.

I suggest you order a whole lot of soap and start practicing for the February DAT. However, as far as I know, most schools take DAT scores up to the Nov one. The Feb DAT will only help your application next year, not for entry into the Sept 2006 class.

Guest wishywish82

I talked to Dr. Cunningham at Dal admissions and he told me the admissions committee breaks things down like this:

Last 2 yrs & Physiology/Biochem/Micro = 65%

Interview = 25%

DAT = 10%

I think you'd stand a chance of getting into Dal if you upped your carving skills. The rest of your DAT scores seem to be pretty competitive with the scores of admitted applicants.

Guest uoft2005

unless i'm misunderstanding your post, the cut-off to get interview for UWO was not 84..

i wonder how my buddies got interview with low 80s..:lol

Guest DDStobe

Thanks for the info. I think I am just gonna apply to Dal. I was told by current students there that carving score is not that important. I know two ppl that got in this year and one had a 12 in carving and the other a 14.

Archived