Premed 101 Forums

5 min pre-carving time

Guest slysniper

Guest slysniper

Ok, now I am confused. There was a comment about how you can NOT use the knife during the first 5 minutes to remove the excess flash and you can only look at the design.

This does not amke sense cuz the DAT prep book says:

"At this time the soap should be examined, the ends squared off and any excess flashe removed with the knife".

Can someone who actually has written the DAT clarify this please?

Thanks

I

You CAN take off flash during those 5 minutes. In my experience the people that administered the DAT were more clueless than the people writing it... So don't worry too much about minor details like this. Just relax! :)

Guest wishywish82

why would you need to make calculations on your sheet?? everything is all laid out in front of you. just make sure you get the ends right and go for it

Guest no fUTure

Hi.. this is the first time I heard about this "pre-carving 5 minutes" thing. Can someone clarify what this is exactly?

I was under the impression that you would have 30 minutes flat to do everything from the minute you start looking at their design to finishing your carving

Guest shesallDAT

Actually if you check out the CDA DAT prep manual carefully, it explains that you do have a 5 minute "pre-carving" time. Consensus seems to be that you can use this to look at the drawing, write down measurements, and take off the excess flash. Then, you have 30 minutes to actually draw your layout and carve. Once the 30 minutes are up you then have another couple minutes to wrap your soap in paper towel and write your name and info on it. Hope that helps! ;)

Guest no fUTure

omg, you're the best! =D

this is great news for me ... i had been doing all my practices with 30 minutes flat, and topping out at ~34 minutes each time

I basically only read through the CDA manual the day I got it and then went and focused everything else carving related on that IQ book later on...

thanks a bunch!

Archived