Premed 101 Forums

On 9/9/2022 at 11:42 AM, Toothfairytobe said:

Hey guys! I am a Canadian applicant and was hoping to apply to UofT and Western this year. This was my second time writing the DAT and although I improved from my previous attempt, I am still disappointed with how I did. I got RC - 18, BIO - 20, CHEM - 20, PAT - 21, AA - 19. I have a 3.94 (92.95%) gpa and some of my experiences include working in dental research, peer tutoring, TA work experience, working at a local hospital, shadowing dentists, volunteering, etc. I would love some advice on whether I should even bother applying to UofT and Western considering the fact that my DAT scores isn’t competitive. Should I apply for a two-year masters and retake the DAT in-between the masters? Any advice/help would be appreciated! 

Just take a year off of school (maybe consider doing a one year certificate or one year masters program) and take the dat again, your gpa is competitive. Just focus on the dat and you should be fine. Anything in the 21-22 range will be good, anything above that is bonus and will help your app

@dentistrydmdThank you so much for the advice. I will definitely look into some one year masters! I have a couple of other questions. Should I still apply this year? Do you know whether rewriting the DAT multiple times is looked down upon? Also, I struggle extremely with RC, do you have some tips on ways I can improve? Lastly, do you know whether a bonus to your application is given if you complete a one year course masters? Or does UofT only give a bonus for two year thesis based master?

They don’t care how many times you take it just make sure the score you send (the next exam you take is going to be good and study for it). Yes you should apply this year. 
For rc it’s more just experience reading passages so just do as much as you can in terms of reading and testing yourself. For the bonus I wouldn’t worry much about that. Your grade is good. It’s not 100% clear anymore how much they weigh the masters bonus. I would just study hard and apply again. It doesn’t matter if you work or do a masters this year, but just make sure to do well on the dat and then interview and you will have covered all your bases. Also they drop your worst year from the calculation so this will work in your favour for the gpa 

On 9/9/2022 at 11:42 AM, Toothfairytobe said:

Hey guys! I am a Canadian applicant and was hoping to apply to UofT and Western this year. This was my second time writing the DAT and although I improved from my previous attempt, I am still disappointed with how I did. I got RC - 18, BIO - 20, CHEM - 20, PAT - 21, AA - 19. I have a 3.94 (92.95%) gpa and some of my experiences include working in dental research, peer tutoring, TA work experience, working at a local hospital, shadowing dentists, volunteering, etc. I would love some advice on whether I should even bother applying to UofT and Western considering the fact that my DAT scores isn’t competitive. Should I apply for a two-year masters and retake the DAT in-between the masters? Any advice/help would be appreciated! 

Are you just worried about ur RC score being below the past year Western cut-off of 19?

10 hours ago, Makarzo said:

Are you just worried about ur RC score being below the past year Western cut-off of 19?

Yes, I am worried about that! But also, I was expecting my BIO and CHEM scores to be much higher since I was scoring very well on DATCrusher. Overall, I was not expecting a 19 AA, which I think is going to hinder my UofT application as well.