Premed 101 Forums

Is it feasible to match in a competitive specialty after being unmatched 2X (for that same specialty)

Flower

Hello, 

I was wondering if you ever heard of applicants that haven't match (CMG) in their top choice specialty and never backed up their choices with FM 2X. Hence went unmatched 2x before matching to their top choice specialty. Would be very curious to hear stories about that. So, if there is a specialty that you are really aiming for and people are backing you up (mentors), what would be other options for you...applying to the US... applying to other countries? Is that "feasible"?

Thanks a lot!

Your chances drastically drop every year you don't match. There is a very big stigma around YOG (year of graduation) and it increases exponentially every year. Being 2 years from graduation is already a huge red flag for the US. There isn't really an alternative option for residency unfortunately.

Some people don't back-up their first go and go unmatched, then double down and try again the following year with more research, electives, etc, then apply again (but they usually back up as well because they know this is their shot).

I am not aware of anyone getting into a competitive spot on the third go. Do you know why you haven't matched? Have your mentors been honest with you? If your mentors are backing you up why have you not matched in their programs? Are they just telling you what you want to hear? What are your red flags (other than being unmatched x2)? Have you honestly made a realistic assessment of your chances?

The generic advice is that at this point you need to cut your losses and focus on just matching at all because your chances of getting ANY spot is seriously in jeopardy. I would be applying FM and other low-competitive specialties (path?) across the board.

I have heard of people doing this but have not seen one that has been successful. I believe you are probably better off matching to another similar 5-yr specialty and attempting a transfer after that (even though that generally also has a low likelihood of success, varying depending on the competitiveness).

I believe the US looks upon a "research year" more favourably than Canadian programs but I would assume even for them 2 years is a red flag.

• 2 weeks later...