Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesiology Visiting Electives

Visiting electives are back for the class of 2024 (with an elective cap of 8 weeks in one speciality). Right now I have an anesthesiology elective at UBC, UofC, UofA, but I'm wondering if I should aim to get an Ontario school for the last elective or Dalhousie (because I know they try to pair you with the same preceptor for 2 weeks). In terms of locations I would want to match, top choices are Alberta and BC, but other than that, I'm down to go wherever. 

Also, if I did try for an Ontario school, which ones would you recommend? 

Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

Had a good experience at Dal, they pair you with one staff for 2 weeks the best they can. I did have a few days with other staff, which was fine. They also do a little skills session at the start of the rotation, and you get to meet with the PD. 

If you are looking for similar, but in Ontario, I would suggest McMaster. I had the same preceptor the whole time. They say you can be at any of the three hospitals. In my experience I was always at the Juravinski - So i would stay near there. Way less sketchy that the general which is where I stayed. 

In terms of pre-elective times Ottawa tends to preferentially interview people that do an elective there, and regards themselves as one of the best programs. So potentially worth considering there. I have worked with staff that have less than nice things to say about their program, and other staff that liked it. So probably not significantly different than any other program in Canada. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/29/2022 at 1:08 PM, sleeeppyyy said:

Visiting electives are back for the class of 2024 (with an elective cap of 8 weeks in one speciality). Right now I have an anesthesiology elective at UBC, UofC, UofA, but I'm wondering if I should aim to get an Ontario school for the last elective or Dalhousie (because I know they try to pair you with the same preceptor for 2 weeks). In terms of locations I would want to match, top choices are Alberta and BC, but other than that, I'm down to go wherever. 

Also, if I did try for an Ontario school, which ones would you recommend? 

Thanks! 

Hey, I was wondering how did you get visiting electives confirmed so far in advance? I was under the impression the AFMC portal didn't even open until this year. 

On 6/6/2023 at 12:25 AM, MrsAaronSamuels said:

Hey, I was wondering how did you get visiting electives confirmed so far in advance? I was under the impression the AFMC portal didn't even open until this year. 

Probably 3-yr program like Calgary or Mac where students have to do electives much earlier and we have electives interspersed between core rotations (unlike 4-yr programs where you do all your cores and then do your electives)