Premed 101 Forums

UBC Classmates

Guest cmt100

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest SugarFreeK

Hey,

Anyone having trouble dropping your UBC enrollment? I've emailed UBC and they haven't replied for over a week. Usually they reply one or two days after an email.

Hehe...I'm just curious. I guess they're busy.

Sugar Free

Guest madflossin

are u waitlisted mekomints ? ...... whats ur percentile ?

i'm guessin its at least down to 43rd percentile - at the very least - since adversary, dreamcatcher and sugarfreek all dropped

Guest snoop99

I'm also in the 30's...

Honestly... the 30's... is where the action is.

Being in the 50's or 40's, you know you will get picked off at UBC... but being in the 30s... now that is fun. Kind of like a hold on to the edge of your seat thriller.

And I believe Shakur is exactly 1 spot below me if I remember correctly... haha :P

Guest cmt100

Hey! Yes I am still going to UBC (actually I never applied anywhere else). I want to stay in Vancouver also and while it may have been foolish to only apply to one school, it worked out for me. Glad to hear that we'll still be classmates! Looking forward to meeting you (and everyone else going also)! :)

Guest singh shady

hi everybody:

I just got back from a month long vacation in India..found out I got into mcgill and ubc dent..will be dropping both...dentforsure, sorry I coudn't notify you about mcgill before, but congrats on the big acceptance..you deserve it...best wishes to all waitlisters..don't lose heart..if you have gotten this far you are bound to get in sooner or later..(i have been in your guy's situation for last 2 years)..

ciao.

Guest dentforsure

hey...he's at ucal med!

singh...back a few weeks ago...i was like...hm...it hsould have gotten to singh already...and he didn't get back to me! India...that must have been soo awesome! Thanks guy...best of luck in the fall!!

Guest Mr Shakur

I hope the UBC waitlist doesnt get to my spot, cuz then i'd have a decision to make, and I hate decisions. Thats means you better accept snoop... please dont reject it.

Guest snoop99

This is bad news... 37th already???

Hopefully it stagnates and stops at 37

Only couple spots more to hit me and shakur

We are about mid 30's, just 2-3 more seats to go

Whats its gonna be shakur?

Guest Audio

Guys,

I was wondering how the waitlist works at UBC. How many are interviewed and how many go on the list?

It looks like it moves pretty far down every year. Also, how are my chances with an 83% average.

Oh yeah, one more thing...how is everything weighed? I remember hearing something about the DAT being 33%. How bout GPA and interview?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Guest madflossin

audio,

at ubc after the interview they look at everything in determining who gets in - the way its broken down is ...

gpa (drop worst year if you've done 4 or more) = 30%

dat (academic avg + [perceptual + carving]) = 30%

interview = 30%

personal attributes (essay + reference letters + extracurriculars) = 10%

correct me if I'm wrong - its been a little while since I looked at the breakdown

they interview 100 ppl (used to be 80) for 40 spots ....... everyone that doesnt fail the interview gets waitlisted

yes ppl do fail the interview - by not meeting the minimum acceptable score - happened to several ppl on the board this year

the reason they interviewed more ppl this year is because last year they ran out of ppl on the waitlist to offer spots to ... and yes the waitlist does move that far down - thats what happens when you have the highest tuition in canada and a program that everyone rips on

83% will get you an interview (and probably get you in) - as long as your dat scores are up to snuff

hope that answers your question

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snoop99

Hey all, I just got the email from UBC, I'm in.

55th+ percentile got in initially

89 people passed the interview out of 100

My percentile is 34, so that is where we are at now

Waitlist has moved 19 people as each person takes up 1.125 percent. I was #19.

Geeze, now what to do.. 9G due in 1 week

UWO wants 26G in 1 week also, Sask is content with the 5G appetizer.

Really odd, I went from wishing for 1 acceptance to holding 3 spots at this moment. Time for me to drop 2 schools. Not that hard to get into dental school after all. Got in every school I interviewed at.

UBC stats:

GPA: 78% (top 4 years) - below 50th percentile avg applicant

DAT: below 50th percentile

interview: Very low, like 30th percentile, 7/10 ppl beat me at ubc, still I got in wow.

SO for those trying for UBC, if you can get in the high 70's, like a 17 Pat and 20 AA, you can get in anywhere. Oh yea, you can bomb the interviews too.

SHAKUR: ?? What are you gonna do. UBC is going to call you NEXT if I drop, you were 1 below me I think

Guest madflossin

congrats snoop ....

i had a feeling this is what would happen - that u'd get picked off the list and have to choose between all three

i guess it really isnt that hard to get in - seems like once u get an interview - ur almost guaranteed a spot :eek

so how u gonna decide?

did u already find a place in either sask or london ?

how was ur trip ?

Guest snoop99

Hey mad.. lucky me the laid back mentality I didnt do nothin for sask or uwo yet.

Costs are 180K ubc 155K Sask 110K Uwo

I wont save any rent goin to Van cause ill have to rent out there, so Ive pretty much decided on Uwo. I really did like Sask though, met some solid ppl, but the programs at Sask at Uwo are very similar in gettin props, so gonna go with the cheaper one.

Ill let sask know on monday after i pay for U-dub. Thanks for askin about the trip, it was a good typical euro/london trip, good times.

Make sure to visit Snoop and Shakur out in UWO sometime. That makes at least 2 BC students in the UWO class this year... wicked. Watch out for shakur though, he is one crazy ass mo-fo.

Archived