Premed 101 Forums

working during dental school

Guest Tonick

Guest Tonick

I was just wondering, are 3rd or 4th year dental students allowed to work as assistants or hygienists on a part time basis during school or full time during the summer? I've heard of Boston U's program (APEX) that places 2nd year students in dental offices, but I'm not sure if they pay them. Does anyone know of any similar programs in CDN or US Dental schools?

Also, for you current students out there, what sorts of other employment opportunities are available for Dental Students? Are they more attractive to research labs for example?

Thanks everyone

Guest Dent08

"Only a person who is registered with the Board and who holds a current license shall be entitled to engage in the practice of dental hygiene"

www.gov.ns.ca/just/regula...hygien.htm

Are you a licenced dental hygienist? If not, you can't work as one in Canada.

As a 3rd and 4th year dental student if you feel that working on your own patients in clinic/attending class from 8 - 5 isn't enough, and you find a dentist that is looking for a dental student who isn't trained as an assistant or hygienist to help them in the evening hours and weekends when you're not swamped with studying, then sure. go for it.

I know dental students that have worked in a dental lab in the summer and it has really improved their speed and skill. I also know dental students who have done dental research in the summer (for very little pay) and really enjoyed it.

Guest Tonick

So it is not "illegal" then to work as an assistant at a dental office... Are you allowed to perform cleanings or other minor procedures (e.g take xrays), or do you have to be a licensed professional?

Guest Dent08

www.gov.ns.ca/just/regula...assist.htm

"Only a person who is registered with the Board and who holds a current licence shall be entitled to engage in the practice of dental assisting."

There are several reasons that it is highly improbably that any dentist would hire you for these positions in their office.

1) You are not trained for either positions. What happens when you screw something up. The dentist is liable, and has to explain why there is someone who isn't properly qualified working in his practice. Lawsuit city!

2) No dentist is going to take time training you in the summer when you're just going to be going back to dental school in a few months.

3) The dentist is going to get tired of being asked questions all the time. "What does that do? Why are you doing that?". Its not their job to teach you. it will slow their work an cost them money. Thats what school is for anyway.

I'm sure dentists will allow you to shadow them a few times. I did this 4 times this past school year. and it was a good experience.

Archived