Premed 101 Forums

O-Week Registration and Equipment Question

Guest hpylori

Guest hpylori

Hello all,

I am wondering about the o-week registration. On the form, it lists various equipment that we can buy (labcoat, dissection kit, etc etc). Do we buy it now or wait until the used equipment sale that ppl talked about? Or is THIS the used equipment sale? I hope this makes sense :D

Thanks in advance!!

Guest peachy

I'm not sure what you mean by "used equipment sale". There will be a used book sale a few weeks in, and then an equipment sale a few weeks after that, but there's no sale for used equipment.

The list of things that you can buy in the o-week kit are primarily things that are useful for anatomy (gloves, dissection kit, lab coat), since you start that the first day of classes, so you'll want them as soon as possible.

Guest scrubbed

Hi,

Whether you want to buy the equipment now is a matter of preference. To some extent, it's nice to have everything delivered during orientation week.

You will use the lab coat or scrubs and dissection kit in the anatomy lab. A lab coat and a dissection kit are mandatory while buying scrubs is optional.

If you have an old lab coat lying around, you won't need to buy another one. Some people also bought scrubs, which I suppose depends on how you feel about the clothes that you wear to class and how "hands on" you plan to get in the lab.

If you know someone in the incoming class, you could take their dissection kit off their hands, as I don't think that we'll need it again unless we do an anatomy elective.

Anatomy dissections begin the first week of school while the used book (not equipment) sale, I believe, occurred in the second week.

Sales of equipment, stethoscpes, reflex hammers, and the like, occurs in October where Shoppers Drug Mart comes in and peddles their wares. We receive a bulk discount, so the prices are better than what you get individually.

And I hope this made sense ...

[Edit: You get double the information!]

Guest try2dstress

any advice on what size to order for labcoats/dissection gloves? I'm a female that's not short but not too tall...pretty much average size. I was going to go for a small labcoat and maybe medium gloves? i don't want the gloves to be too tight to cut off circulation but i don't want them huge either. i'm kinda torn...

Guest scrubbed

Hi,

I'd say that a small lab coat would be sufficient. If you have a chance to go downtown, there's lab coats at the bookstore that you could try, and even buy.

As a medium-sized male who wears medium-sized gloves, size small, perhaps, would be the best option here. If you are concerned about being stuck with a box of ill fitting gloves, there's the Med Store in the basement of the Medical Sciences Building where you could buy a box of gloves sometime during orientation week after you have tried a few sizes and have seen what fits.

Guest try2dstress

thanks scrubbed, that's great advice! I'll get from the Med store unless the prices are drastically different - the prices to order in the orientation package are $8.30 for a box...do you know how much they are at the store?

Thanks again!

Guest scrubbed

Hey,

From my recollection, I don't think the prices are that different. Perhaps there may be some savings associated with buying in bulk, but I don't think it would be more than a few dollars at most.

I'd imagine that many students are "sized" from having done basic science lab work before medical school, which makes the process easier.

Guest Bustylegs

Hi Scrubbed:

Do you know if latex gloves are allowed?

I love the ones I'm using in the lab but they are latex ones...

Tony

Guest scrubbed

Hi Tony,

If the policy hasn't changed, my understanding is that latex gloves are fine. I also wasn't aware of anyone complaining about people using latex gloves, nor of any reactions that resulted from another person's use of latex gloves.

Guest studentz

Don't get latex, your hands will stink of cadaver. Go to the medstore in the basement of medsci and get the purple nitrile ones. They're more expensive per pair, but cheaper than doublin up the latex ones. Way worth it!

Archived