Premed 101 Forums

Parallel planning psych and IM

I'm a 3rd year who's interested in both psych and IM and I'm having a hard time deciding how to split my electives next year. Please help ...

I have 12 weeks pre-carms. Initially, I was planning on completing 8 weeks of psychiatry and 4 weeks of IM but I am now unsure if I want psych (better lifestyle, less medicine) more than IM (more medicine, less good lifestyle). I am wondering if 4 weeks of IM pre-carms is enough to secure interviews and possibly match. Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

2 hours ago, SnowmanTheSWOMEN said:

Wait, sorry to hijack the thread, but also as an MS3 parallel planning specialties..

I thought post-CaRMS electives are not even looked at??

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

They are looked at as you’ll have to enter every elective/selective in your CaRMS application. Whether they are assessed in depth is up to programs. Several of my interviews asked me what I was doing post-CaRMS and why I chose such electives.

10 hours ago, Focused said:

I think 4 weeks of IM pre-CARMS + 2 to 4 weeks post-CaRMS should be fine.

Does it matter if 2 of the IM pre-CaRMS weeks are mandatory selectives? Or will it not show my interest in IM because they are mandatory for everyone? :(

I'm in the same boat trying to decide between 2 specialties but unfortunately, I got placed in a group where I have my 2 weeks of IM mandatory selectives before CaRMS

7 hours ago, Blue_Sky98 said:

Does it matter if 2 of the IM pre-CaRMS weeks are mandatory selectives? Or will it not show my interest in IM because they are mandatory for everyone? :(

I'm in the same boat trying to decide between 2 specialties but unfortunately, I got placed in a group where I have my 2 weeks of IM mandatory selectives before CaRMS

How will schools even know this? I think this is overthinking. They probably care more about the resultant letter and evaluation. Although this is equally pure speculation on my part.

10 hours ago, Blue_Sky98 said:

I understand your anxiety!

I'm a MS4 myself and applied to surgical specialties and "backed up" with IM with 4 weeks of electives; 2 of them being mandatory selectives pre-CARMS (gastroenterology) and 2 weeks of electives (critical care) right before interviews. I only applied in Quebec and received interviews at all three francophone universities.

I spoke to quite a few residents and attendings in IM at UdeM, and what they look at first and foremost is your performance in all of your rotations.

Of course demonstrating interest in the field is important, but I still believe you are not at a disadvantage here. You can always pick up a retrospective study or litt review in IM (which I did not do!), it will further show your dedication to the field! :)

However IM might be more competitive in Ontario and in the Western parts of Canada, so take my humble opinion with a grain of salt!

20 hours ago, SnowmanTheSWOMEN said:

Wait, sorry to hijack the thread, but also as an MS3 parallel planning specialties..

I thought post-CaRMS electives are not even looked at??

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

True, they won't be able to evaluate your performance, but you can still put them in your CV, it does not hurt! And you can use it as an argument during interviews or when you are writing your motivation letters (since there is a delay with the evaluations), if you think it's appropriate.