Premed 101 Forums

Medical oncology job market

Current Canadian IMG hematology/oncology fellow in a strong academic program in the US. I chose this forum instead of the "Coming to Canada" one given that my question was more geared towards IM subspecialty job market and outlook. I'm looking into the option of coming back to Canada preferably Vancouver or the GTA area. What is the job market like for medical oncology in these cities preferably in academics? Are additional degrees like masters or PhDs and/or super-fellowships soft requirements? What are the salaries and work schedules like? I realize obtaining Royal College certification and licensing is the major hurdle and there are lots of uncertainties in the process. Is this even a viable path? 

3 hours ago, bearded frog said:

These are good questions but you probably will have more luck reaching out to heme/onc people in those areas. Do you have any connections to staff/learners in Canada that could connect you?

Good question but unfortunately, I don't have direct connections with Canadian hem/onc trainees or faculty. I suppose my next step should be reaching out to faculty at my institution for secondary connections and networking at the upcoming major conferences. 

17 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Good question but unfortunately, I don't have direct connections with Canadian hem/onc trainees or faculty. I suppose my next step should be reaching out to faculty at my institution for secondary connections and networking at the upcoming major conferences. 

Yeah, you can ask your local faculty if they know anyone. Alternatively, you could email the chief residents at these places to see if they know or can connect you to someone who does.

I think it depends on academics but from what I hear, some locations tend to be on the competitive side. UofT likes to see a masters or PhD for all academics, but you are allowed to earn one during your first few years as an attending and some people do them part-time/online so its not a huge barrier. Super fellowships are also desired and academic publications are looked upon favourably in general. 

It can be hard in general but if you are open to location it makes it easier, but generally speaking without the local network, it will be a bit harder than for someone who trained locally for example.