Premed 101 Forums

Site transfers (UBC FM)

rizt

Hey everyone,

I matched to UBC FM in a desirable (for me), but not my first choice, site. I'm wondering how it would be received if I sent an email inquiring if there were any options for transferring to my first or second site instead or if there were students in those sites who would want to switch with me? I don't want to rankle PGME before the year has even started, so I'm just looking for some advice and information?

52 minutes ago, rizt said:

Hey everyone,

I matched to UBC FM in a desirable (for me), but not my first choice, site. I'm wondering how it would be received if I sent an email inquiring if there were any options for transferring to my first or second site instead or if there were students in those sites who would want to switch with me? I don't want to rankle PGME before the year has even started, so I'm just looking for some advice and information?

I'm assuming if the CaRMS algorithm worked, you ended up there because others who wanted the same site equally or more were ranked higher thank you by that site. I would give it at least 6 months before inquiring about a transfer. It would also have to go through the PD and not just PGME so I would not ruffle feathers before you even start. The match is what it is.

If you're not happy with your site, then go ahead and send an email inquiring about the process for transfers. In my opinion, it doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no. 

I know people in Ontario that were able to switch sites for FM, but both of them switched a few weeks after they had started due to family issues. Their programs were very accomodating.

I don't think it would hurt to send an email to the PDs being like "Hey I really appreciate being selected to the x program and looking forward to starting in July, I just wanted to say that my family/SO/whatever live in [other city] so if a position ever opens up in that program and transfer is a possibility please keep me in mind".