Premed 101 Forums

Best Pre-Med Programs in Canada

Hi, this is I.Qamar, a Canadian citizen currently doing my A levels from Pakistan. I wish to become a doctor from Canada. I’ll soon be applying to Canadian universities for my undergrad program. However i am not quite sure as to which program i should give preference to. I have waterloo health sciences and ideally McMaster health sciences as my priority. I will be applying to several health sciences and life sciences programs with few biomedical engineering programs as well. Some people have suggested me to stay in pakistan and get an MBBS degree instead of a Canadian medical degree as an MBBS can save me a couple of years however i am ready to sacrifice a couple of years to become an established doctor in canada.

My Subjects in A levels are Physics Chemistry Biology and Maths

I have 7A* and 1A in O levels

1.Should i go for an MBBS or go for the canadian pathway

2.If i go for MBBS will i be able to land in a surgical specialty as an IMG

3.What Undergrad Programs are best choice

4.Is biomedical Engineering to MD possible

thank you!!

To  practice in Canada, you should go  to med school here, not in Pakistan, however, the competition is fierce and there are absolutely no guarantees, even for those super qualified. As to what to study and where in undergrad in Canada, there is no one answer. Some medical students studied geography in undergrad! You need a high, competitive GPA and likely will do well in whatever interests you. There is no best choice. I took the route of exercise science, kin, with internships and it prepared me well but we each individually follow our own path. If you go the IMG route, it is unlikely, but possible, you will practice here. Good Luck!