Premed 101 Forums

7 UBC psychiatry spots unfilled, why?

Hi, new member here!

I'm interested in psych and wondering why UBC Psychiatry had 7 (including 3 in Vancouver!) unfilled CaRMS entry spots this year. I always had impression that UBC Psychiatry (UBC anything!) has always been hard to match to, even in down years for psych. Are there problems with the program right now? I know they have a bunch of locations for the UBC psych program, and Fraser and Victoria filled, but why so many empty in Vancouver? Could anyone help?

7 hours ago, chiynadoll said:

I don't know the details, but 2 of the 3 vancouver site spots were research track - perhaps that in itself wasn't as popular this year? 

Also 2 of the interior spots are new spots.

There are also plenty of psych elsewhere in the country that are unfilled, so psych might just be less popular in general this year.

Thanks for that insight re Vancouver positions 

looks like UBC is converting those 2 research track positions into general ones in second iteration 

I should also add that every year we get some strange clustering effect of something - you can stare at those and wonder what is going on or perhaps going wrong. However the odds overall of the entire CARMS system randomly not spitting out at least a few oddities each year is extremely low just based on pure chance. Doesn't mean that some programs may not have headwinds for various reasons but you can over analyze things. I don't really like to start to pay attention until it becomes multiple year trends etc.